Short oil life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard members on here say they get almost 10k between oil changes. I purchased my 17 and after 3-4k miles it was time to change oil. Well we've only put around 4-5 hundred miles on truck since oil changed. And it's down to 68% already???

Truck runs fine and gets decent mileage. Does it's far share of curb idle thou, with the remote start.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you mean its down to 68 percent? Are you saying it's consuming oil? That's normal on any vehicle. Are you sending the oil off to a lab? Just because the oil gets a little dirtier than the new oil, doesn't mean it's not protective. If you don't already have a catch can for your oil, it's strongly recommended to do so. Turbo engines put out a coking , the catch can keeps it from dumping in pan my The interval can go out to 10k, we do that on our fleet of Ford Transit 3.5/3.7 But in reality, 5k to 6 k is what's recommended for long engine life. Our members here all have different intervals that they feel comfortable with, but the cleaner the better for the long life of engine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change mine in my 2103 Ford F150 XLT V8 and in my 2017 Ford Expedition Limited every 5000 miles. I feel that this is right for my two vehicles due to my driving conditions.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
68% on the dash display. The oil is still full and clean. I dont have the catch can yet, but ordered one yesterday. I changed the oil in my Suburban last fall, and it still shows 65% on the dash display, I'm not sure how many miles without checking my log. But 32% life gone from 5 hundred miles seams far from normal to me. At this rate it will need changed around 1500 miles, per the dash display.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I've been living in a cave. So the 4 th gens actually tell you the percentage of protection in the oil? How the hell does that work? And what about the sensor that reads it? They obviously go bad. My outside temp reading is 10-12 degrees higher than actual temp. If I was you, I'd swing by your dealer or shop that has the equipment, and see if this is a malfunctioning system. New cars/trucks are getting to the point where they get the customer too involved. It's a good, and a bad thing. We've had internal combustion vehicles for 117 years or so, now their telling you a percentage for oil change . I think the old oil pressure gauge, and the reminder at 5k to change oil is where it should end. What's next, Tsb bulletins to come across your pop up video screen. Glad I'm not a service writer or mechanic anymore. I had enough guys telling me our job 15 years ago. What I used to love, was the customer said I want your $59.95 sparkplug tune up. It also included scoping engine. As I was asking questions, how's it run? Any loss of power, any misfires? The more I asked, that $59.95 tune up ended up usually around $200.00 to $300.00, after scoping.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
From what I've heard ... No sensor that measures oil lubricosity. Its an algorithm (translation for Moose = Formula). Probably takes into account the number of milliseconds the engine has run as well as temperature, speed, whatever metric the computers can record.

This is one of those situations where the owner says ... Looks clean, has X miles, has X months ... All good! F that annoying notice that keeps popping up, I'll reset it

I'd copy and paste the link if I knew how. But you can Google "understanding ford IOLM" to learn more if desired.

Not running Kendall GT-1 Molybdnem Titanium blend are you?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On some it’s a fixed variable of time and mileage, many of the newer trucks use more variables in determining the oil life like temp and trip duration. My 2007 is a bit more basic and the owners manual says the following regarding the oil life monitor:

“Oil life

An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center and
according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
[approximately 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or 180 days] perform the following...”