Shorted something while testing lock/unlock switch, now car won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles b

Reaction score
I tried diagnosing the issue with the drivers door lock unlock switch & while testing with a meter I connected 2 terminals that seem to have shorted something & now the car doesn't start. When I connect a booster pack to the battery, it cranks but doesn't start, without the booster pack, it starts the crank, but stops right away
Can anyone please help! Tnx

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried diagnosing the issue with the drivers door lock unlock switch & while testing with a meter I connected 2 terminals that seem to have shorted something & now the car doesn't start. When I connect a booster pack to the battery, it cranks but doesn't start, without the booster pack, it starts the crank, but stops right away
Can anyone please help! Tnx

Year, make, model and engine may help others on the forum provide advice.

OP
OP
C

Charles b

Reaction score
The car actually started since posting, it needed the booster pack the first time, but then I let it run for a while & it seems to be ok now. I'll see tomorrow...
But now the lock button on drivers door doesn't work ("unlock" works & "lock" works on the remote & on passenger door)
I tested with a multimeter & I'm not getting anything from one of the terminals on the harness, (on the passenger door harness, it does have power at that terminal) question is how do I find & repair the problem; I'm assuming a broken wire

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, current Sit-rep? The door lock switches (trim panel) do not function, also drivers window does not function. Everything else is ok? The the trim switches work on the passenger door? Do any of the other windows work?

It's quite possible a few door circuits needed to be respliced before starting and broke further with short-circuit.

I had a taurus with 4 broken wires after 10 years

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01