Should I be able to tow this trailer safely?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theshell

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL XLT with a tow package. I'm looking to purchase this trailer, am I crazy to attempt to pull this with my expy? It's a lot of flat land here in TX, im not looking to go into the mountains or anything

Dry Weight: 7671 lbs
GVWR: 9735
Exterior Length: 37 ft 6 in
Carrying Capacity: 2175 lbs
Hitch Weight: 936 lbs
Axle Weight: 6452 lbs
RIM rated load: 2830
RIMS: 15x6
GAWR: 4400 Axels per unit: 2
Number of slides: 3

txbowhunter

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL XLT with a tow package. I'm looking to purchase this trailer, am I crazy to attempt to pull this with my expy? It's a lot of flat land here in TX, im not looking to go into the mountains or anything

Are you crazy for wanting to try it, MAYBE... Can you do it, YES, especially if your rig is properly set-up with equalizer hitch and such. BUT you won't like it because it is nearly maxed out and it'll be tough hauling that size of trailer. YES there's a LOT of flat land , BUT the heat will also take a toll quickly on your truck, so you'll be out a lot for repairs as well. And if that load should ever get squirrely on you you'll most likely lose it. DEFINITELY NOT A GOOD IDEA TO DO IT!!! If you really want that trailer, get the 3/4 or 1 ton truck that will safely pull it without risking death for you or others.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
37ft trailer that's not flatbed/equipment... forgetting all the other numbers, the minimum to even consider towing with expedition is $3k propride hitch.. otherwise, trailer sway might get you killed the first time you have high winds or go too fast on freeway. Tongue weight and payload pushing it too, you'd have to perfectly load it and not very much. Honestly, others are right... you want f350 or f450 if you care about safety.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't do that. Way undersized. Will it pull it? Yes, will it be safe, no. And it'll excellerate the deteration of your vehicles systems, trans, shocks, etc.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As other said, you need at least a 3/4 chassis for a trailer this size. One of the Chevy or Nissan HD vans, or an older 2500 SUV (Suburban, Excursion) could handle it. But it's oversized for an Expedition.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tongue weight will send you over your rated payload. At 936 (Dry, factory hitch weight), add 40 lb propane + 50 lb battery + cargo + 200+ lb water if the fresh tank is at the front of the trailer, and you will easily exceed the 1400-ish lb of payload of the expedition.

We tow our 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2509 with just under 1000 lb tongue weight (773 lb dry factory TW) with our 2017 EL Limited EB and are likely exceeding our 1423 lb payload capacity with my family of 4 + cargo. It bounces around quite a bit (but not bottomed out), so I'm upgrading to some very expensive Icon rear suspension.

I would stick with a 3/4 ton or higher with that trailer, or look for another trailer with < 800 dry TW or less, depending on how much cargo, pets, and family you plan to carry in the vehicle.

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I tow an 8700# (fully loaded) with an Equalizer hitch with no problems, but yours is far beyond that.