Should it stay or should it go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I need to see if the fella installing the radiator support will let me work on it when he has the front clip off.

I ordered the radiator support which was $1291.38 plus tax at the dealer. There was a young man there that said wow that is too high price. LOL He lowered it to $1110.26 WITH tax.

I have appointment at the body shop May 27th at 10am . She gets a new set of Bloomers for $900.00.

Thats $2,010.26 verses the dealership price of $5.5K for the repair of the radiator support part of this.

Thats a $3489.74 savings to you and me Russ...:dogpile:

I had the radiator support done on my 04 EB. Used an after market support, cost me $1500 for labor and materials. Came out great. Had it done a few years ago. Still looks new. Also had all my brakes lines done, transmission lines. So much rust. My underside is horrible. I have 92K miles. Body and interior is perfect. Also had under the doors all done. Now I am trying to see what I can do about the very rusty frame.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You cannot be serious to stick any money into a rust bucket. In Florida we find 2003 models, the best year ever built, rolling around rust free with ice cold A/C for under $4K. 2005 on up with the 3 valve engines are all junk. 2003 and 2004 5.4 engines are bulletproof.

DASAGT

Reaction score
I had a performance radiator built after the factory one failed, but I didn't change out the pump should I have?

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
Well you get what you pay for. Got the truck back. Paid 570 for hard brake lines fr and fl and rear from abs to coupling at back of drivers door. Fr lower ball joint and tie rod end. All 4 soft hose drops to calipers.

He didn't remove old lines. Ran lines all willie nillie. Found on bleeder screw rubber boot missing. On drop hose 10 mm mounting bolt loose. Hand tight.

He installed a compression coupler to the rear line and I insisted he replace w a double flare coupling. He agreed he would if I brought it back.

So I spent 3 hrs going through everything. Isolated new lines so they don't rub on anything. Placed in factory holders where I could and made isolation points where I couldn't.

I'm not happy w his work but I'm glad I didn't do it...

I have a set of transmission cooler lines I may put on myself. I ordered the plastic otc tool. The difficult part looks to be getting to the lines on the transmission itself since the heat shield is in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to win. If you are a perfectionist then you end up doing it yourself.
I am cheap. So I end up doing it myself.

I have found it is almost easier to just go all the way to the end of brake line and run new 5 or 6 foot piece and connect with unions and go to other end. You just measure and get the end piece not too long so you can z it or loop it to get length just right.
I have done double and bubble flares but pain in the ass.

I did trans lines on a 97 E super duty with V10 in it 2-3 years ago. Had to make my own. Pulled the old off and bent the new to match close enough.
Super cheap in parts.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am having a new radiator core support installed on my 2006 and was wondering if I should replace the water pump since the front clip will be removed. It has 126,000 miles on the original. I'm thinking how much longer could she go? What say you? Thanks
I have a 2004... only owner...OEM until I broke it... other than that it's real easy to change and u don't need anything removed or out the easy to do it

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flip a coin! Just kidding. Its a crap shoot. Your at the mileage and age where you probably should. I've been around vehicles wrenching on them for close to 50 years now, and I've never figured why, but disrupting a sealed system like the cooling, shouldn't affect other parts like a thermostat or water pump, but it does. I've had a perfectly functional thermostat stop opening, just by changing out the coolant. Whether your changing the radiator, or a shop, it's cheaper and safer with the radiator and fan out already. Again, it's a judgement call, but at 13 years old, I'd change the upper, and lower hoses as well as the pump.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Im trying to figure out why my climate control temp is 20 degrees higher than it actually is outside

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
I cannot get the lower transmission line loose from the radiator. It's so rusted the tube and fitting must be full of rust. No fittings available so you have to replace radiator. Unbelievable...

I went ahead and replaced water pump tensioner belt and pulleys. 1099e280da78ebd8289c654bbedcee4c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gain Mob, my outside temperature reading on mine reads about 10 degrees higher than what it really is. Is that what your talking about, or do you leave your AC on all the time?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk