Show your Lifted 3rd Gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmaltz

Reaction score
You and @CommO 33/12.50s should fit. You need 3” up front for 35s to fit on factory offsets and no trimming. I run 3/2 with 35/11.50/20 On factory +44 and they did not require any trimming but we’re super close to needing it. I put 1.25” boras on to push the tires back out of the wheel well and had to move my electric running boards and do some fender plastic trimming. Bilsteins and 33/12.50 on anything from +10 offset your should fit
Will the this tire fit underneath in the spare spot?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking about running some bigger tire under mine ('11 XLT EL). I think a 33x12.50 would be about as big as I'd need/want. If it were your Expy, how would you accomplish the lift required?

I think my struts may be a little on the mushy side so that is a consideration too.

Would the 5100s be sufficient? I read all prior 56 pages and I know I could do the 33 inchers with a 3/2 setup and possibly wheel spacers (plan to use stockish 18" Ford wheels...just don't really like the stock Expy wheels), but if I need new struts....may as well go that way if the 5100s are still obtainable, no?

This is also a family hauler, boat dragger, and sometimes the groceries take a ride from town to farm in it too so it would be best if it could be an all around performer, rather than something that can only just cross ruts. It doesn't have the intention to do hardcore offroading, but something where I can go do some mild driving around my farm without fear of getting stuck in a 6" rut would be good.

I've read and read this thread, just want a confirmation of what would be a good setup before slapping my card number on a website ;)

Thanks....and holy hell, lots of excellent trucks in this thread. Maybe soon mine will be worthy enough to hold down a spot here too. :)

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking about running some bigger tire under mine ('11 XLT EL). I think a 33x12.50 would be about as big as I'd need/want. If it were your Expy, how would you accomplish the lift required?

I think my struts may be a little on the mushy side so that is a consideration too.

Would the 5100s be sufficient? I read all prior 56 pages and I know I could do the 33 inchers with a 3/2 setup and possibly wheel spacers (plan to use stockish 18" Ford wheels...just don't really like the stock Expy wheels), but if I need new struts....may as well go that way if the 5100s are still obtainable, no?

This is also a family hauler, boat dragger, and sometimes the groceries take a ride from town to farm in it too so it would be best if it could be an all around performer, rather than something that can only just cross ruts. It doesn't have the intention to do hardcore offroading, but something where I can go do some mild driving around my farm without fear of getting stuck in a 6" rut would be good.

I've read and read this thread, just want a confirmation of what would be a good setup before slapping my card number on a website ;)

Thanks....and holy hell, lots of excellent trucks in this thread. Maybe soon mine will be worthy enough to hold down a spot here too. :)

I took have a 2011 EL XLT and I replaced my shocks with the Bilstein 4600 when I had my spacers (2.5"/1.5") installed so I can't speak to the 5100s. I like the 4600s though and it made a noticeable improvement in all around performance. Then mounted up 285/75/R17 tires on a set of Raptor rims. Could not be happier with the tire and wheel look and everything. The tires are 33.8" tall and I didn't need to trim anything. I use my truck about the same way you plan to do - family hauler, camper tower, and it makes a trip out into our family's corn field every now and then. It performs admirably. I will drive this thing til the wheels fall off.

Here is a picture of them in this link: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/what-tires-are-you-guys-running.41619/page-5#post-376647

There is a photo of my EL in this thread too after spacer and wheels/tire install. Hope this helps: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/3rd-gen-picture-thread.41659/page-2#post-372365

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent! Yeah I saw your ride when I was studying and it stood out to me. The only thing else that I'm concerned with...are your Raptor wheels the same offset as say a stock 17" or 18" Expedition wheel? Trying to determine if I'd need to run a spacer to clear with the lift setup you have, or if the offset is the same as all the OEM wheels I'd be ok without the spacer (not the lift spacer, I know I'd need that with the 4600s)

Again, thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated!

I have a lead on some 18" Ford wheels that I really like, so that's my reason for asking abut the offset. I'm not sure what they're from but I can surely find a way to get a pic of them if it would make a difference.