Shudder/Vibration Low speed turn, power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henryh8r

Reaction score
Hello,
I searched around before posting this. I found some info on the F150 sites and some Expedition but all older models/gen. This just started whether in forward or reverse it shudders when turning and applying power, low speed. Parking maneuvers mainly. 55k miles so close to powertrain warranty if that would even apply (not likely in my experience).
Just started and I hoped there was some intel here before I get bent over at the local (Denver) dealership for yet another $120 diagnostic fee. I am about out of fun tickets with the ol Expedition...

Last edited:

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if it's doing it when it's turning in Maneuvers at low speeds kind of sounds like your four wheel hubs are locked in place or partially locked in place to me

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the same thing that just creeped up on my 2017. When pulling in or out a parking spot or low speed turns, like you mainly parking maneuvers, the steering will get stiff and I get a nasty vibration.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like the beginnings of epas (electric power assisted steering) failure. Warranty should cover that, and inside the 60k mile warranty there should be no diagnostic fee if problem is found. The unit is not serviceable and must be replaced as a single unit and programmed by the dealer.

CrAzYJoe85

Reaction score
Make sure you 4wd is disengaged I bumped it one tim from 4A to 4H and it did that also there is no reason to run it in 4A or 4H during summer months unless you are off road and the time of the switch

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any update? I’m at 54,000 miles and starting to get a slight shudder/vibration at low speeds when turning left or right...seems to only happen in 2H...if I select 4A no vibration.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m bringing my 2017 to the dealer on Monday for this exact same symptom.

I've researched this symptom on several Forums.

To start, I'm going to change the fluid in the rearend and add the required Friction Modifier for the limited-slip. I'll see what effect this has on the shudder.

Please post back what the dealer tells you on Monday.

Maybe between the two of us we can help determine what's going on :)

Thanks.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a heads up...if you take your vehicle to the dealer for this issue, be aware what the Owner's Manual (page 171) says:

"LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (If Equipped)
This axle provides added traction on slippery surfaces, particularly when one wheel is on a poor traction surface. Under normal conditions, the limited-slip axle functions like a standard rear axle. The axle may exhibit a slight noise or vibration during tight turns with low vehicle speed. This is normal behavior and indicates the axle is working."

Especially note the 'normal behavior' reference.