Side Mirror Puddle Lights Recommendation, Easy Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
It may be not as necessary to others but it gives a noticeable difference, plus it's so easy you'll never look back. Lighting and cohesive color temperature for me, is important. I did this on both our previous Max Limited to color match lights after retrofitting OEM LED headlights, and again with our current Max Platinum.
Not sure why Ford upgrades all the lights on higher trims but leave these out. Below, is a quick before and after comparison and what I used.

All you need is about 10 minutes time, a flathead screwdriver, needle nose pliers and electrical tape. No other special tools needed.

Lights I used bought off Amazon:
Easy Eagle Full LED Side. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWB34YC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

20210102_212355.jpg
Stock light on the left and new LED light on the right with longer connecting wires.

Before:
20220208_205048.jpg
20220208_205024.jpg

After:
20220208_210807.jpg
20220208_210827.jpg

Ideally, you should disconnect your battery but I didn't and just kept the wires separate making sure not to cross wires.

1. Use a flat head screwdriver to gently pry the light out of the bottom of the side mirror and tilt the other side clip out.
2. Gently pull the light and wires out and disconnect the negative wire. You may need to use the needle nose pliers to separate the connection here so that you don't pull the wire.
3. With the OEM light hanging, connect the negative wire to the new LED light. The metal connection is exposed on the new LED light so wrapped it with some electrical tape to prevent short.
4. Repeat the same with the yellow wire.
5. Reinsert the light and repeat on the other side.

It was simple enough and just thought I'd share.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel the same way with the license plate lights. Actually parked next to two other expeditions. We all had ours on remote start, and they commented how nice LED white license plate lights look on mine in comparison to the dull yellow.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new model puddle lights are led from ford. Just ordered those and put them in. Didn't want to go aftermarket.

I did go aftermarket for the led license plate light though.

Love the way they look vs yellow dull lights

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new model puddle lights are led from ford. Just ordered those and put them in. Didn't want to go aftermarket.

I did go aftermarket for the led license plate light though.

Love the way they look vs yellow dull lights
just look up the part on the ford parts website as a 2021 model to get the LED lights?

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to the Ford part number. I haven't found them on the Ford site yet.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
My 19 Platinum has LED (5000k temp) puddle lights. OP I think maybe certain years or certain trims include them already? License plate bulbs were incandescent (yellow) and Inseapped those.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 19 Platinum has LED (5000k temp) puddle lights. OP I think maybe certain years or certain trims include them already? License plate bulbs were incandescent (yellow) and Inseapped those.
You are correct 18s didn't have leds stock. Then in 19 or 20 the made them all leds.

They look so much better than the old ones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971