Side Mirror Puddle Lights Recommendation, Easy Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the dorman aftermarket lamps but am now having an issue in my BCM. I have a 3rd Gen Expy (2017) and my Bdycm is throwing a couple codes and shows that the circuit is shorted to ground - it is only putting out 1.2v on the puddle lamp wire. So beware of the aftermarket puddle lamps. Granted the puddle lamps still works but the Bdycm puddle lamp circuit died so I don't know if it is an internal issue or if it is the puddle lamps causing an issue.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! My local dealer wants $43 each for the Ford LED puddle lights! I'll try the ones the OP suggested.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to swap out their puddle lights for the SVO lights used in the Raptor? Same brightness, more cool factor.

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
It may be not as necessary to others but it gives a noticeable difference, plus it's so easy you'll never look back. Lighting and cohesive color temperature for me, is important. I did this on both our previous Max Limited to color match lights after retrofitting OEM LED headlights, and again with our current Max Platinum.
Not sure why Ford upgrades all the lights on higher trims but leave these out. Below, is a quick before and after comparison and what I used.

All you need is about 10 minutes time, a flathead screwdriver, needle nose pliers and electrical tape. No other special tools needed.

Lights I used bought off Amazon:
Easy Eagle Full LED Side. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWB34YC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

View attachment 72202
Stock light on the left and new LED light on the right with longer connecting wires.

Before:
View attachment 72198
View attachment 72200

After:
View attachment 72199
View attachment 72201

Ideally, you should disconnect your battery but I didn't and just kept the wires separate making sure not to cross wires.

1. Use a flat head screwdriver to gently pry the light out of the bottom of the side mirror and tilt the other side clip out.
2. Gently pull the light and wires out and disconnect the negative wire. You may need to use the needle nose pliers to separate the connection here so that you don't pull the wire.
3. With the OEM light hanging, connect the negative wire to the new LED light. The metal connection is exposed on the new LED light so wrapped it with some electrical tape to prevent short.
4. Repeat the same with the yellow wire.
5. Reinsert the light and repeat on the other side.

It was simple enough and just thought I'd share.
Looks great. I did drive bright bright trax. $50 for puddle lamps and license plate bulbs. 5 minute install and really lights up the ground