Side Mirror Turn Signal and Interior lights LED upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXWarthog

Reaction score
I recently purchased a GII (2005) Expy. The pass. side courtesy light is INOP and the turn signals are not very bright. I had originally read that the bulbs are not replaceable (which sounded crazy). After finding a write up on how to accomplish this task, I'm gonna knock it out and convert to LEDs. I thought I'd share the info here (it may have already been shared).

Here's the how-to on removing the mirror turn lens:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1127570-2003-expedition-side-mirror-lamp-replacement.html

The link provided in the write up does not work, but this one does:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...iature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/#/attributes/16

For those with smoked lens (such as me), amber LED lights are offered.

I thought since I'm going to all this trouble, I might as well replace the interior lights with nice LED bulbs too. Here is a link for bulb sizes (based on my 2005). Info copied below:

2005 Ford Expedition Auto Light Bulb Size Guide

Low Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9006 or 9006 HID Upgrade Kit
High Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9005 or 9005 HID Upgrade Kit
Parking Light Bulb Size: 3357
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 3357
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 4157
Tail Light Bulb Size: 4157
Stop Light Bulb Size: 4157
High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 168
Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: 9145
License Plate Light Bulb Size: 2825
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 3156
Rear Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 194
Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 194
Map Light Bulb Size: 2825 or 578
Dome Light Bulb Size: 578
Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 578

The 2005 Ford Expedition light bulb socket size and lightbulb replacement information above is updated as it is submitted by the Modified Life community.​

OP
OP
TXWarthog

TXWarthog

Reaction score
Ham,

Thanks for the reminder.

I was thinking about the flasher relay the other day. Since I'm just doing only the mirror units right now, I don't think it'll cause a big enough drop in resistance to significantly change the flash rate. If it does, then I'll go get a LED compatible flash relay...and then change out all the external lights with LEDs.

EDIT: I said screw it, and ordered one. I figure I'll change it out now and look at going to all LED for the brake/turn and other equipment. Now I just need to find a bright enough bulb to warrant changing out to LED.

OP
OP
TXWarthog

TXWarthog

Reaction score
Another mod I'm looking at is a brake light modulator. I've used the Dyna Flash on some of my motorcycles and it's great. Three quick flashes, followed by three longer flashes, then steady...every time I hit the brakes. Most likely, I'll just wire it up to the center brake light.

OP
OP
TXWarthog

TXWarthog

Reaction score
I changed out the interior dome lights with LEDs... wow, what a difference! It looks better and is not as dark. I also changed out the mirror courtesy lights, which also give it a great look. While in the mirror turn signal lens, I replaced the bulbs with amber LEDs (my turn lenses are smoked color and not amber). I found out that the new LED compatible relay is not needed for just the mirror light upgrades.

Next on the list will be the tail lights, which will require the relay, and replace a few instrument cluster bulbs.

Does anyone know if the 4x4 switch and the sunroof switch are illuminated?

Thanks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get hyper flash until I changed all turn signal and taillights... led flasher fixed it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be cool seeing those big three lights blinking like a Harley. That would sure get attention from behind, especially if you put bright LEDs. Hopefully you don't get an 85 year old behind you, that could scare the hell out of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TXWarthog

TXWarthog

Reaction score
Nah, If/when I get the modulator, I'll only wire it into the center brake light. I'll leave the two lower brake lights alone as someone might think that I'm turning or have my hazards on...plus may be a legality issue in some states (whereas, some vehicles come factory with center blinking light = DOT approved).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be legal in California. Seen the pulsing light on bikes. Have never seen it on any car though. It's a safety item, don't know why car companies haven't offered it. They've had 3 rd brake lights since 1986.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk