SJB (Smart Junction Box) modification - separate turn signal bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pele

Reaction score
I have a paid copy of ForScan. I've been exploring some options in the Smart Junction Box programming

One such option allows me to select rear tail light options.

My choices are:

0 - Bulb Outage OFF
3 - Stop and turn signals use same bulb
12 - Stop and turn signals use separate bulbs

I know hitting the first option is good for using LED turn signal bulbs and stops the fast flashing.
The second option is the default on the Expedition. It's got red turn signals and uses the same bulb as the brake light.

I wanna know more about that third option. Stop and Turn signals use SEPARATE bulbs.
When I select it, nothing happens. The tail lights operate as normal. (Except the unit thinks it has a bulb out.)

The left and right tails still come on when the turn signal is flashing and when I press the brake pedal.
I'd like the left and right tails to come on ONLY when their respective direction of turn signal is on.

Anyone have any experience with reprogramming the Smart Junction Box?
Any Ford programming engineers in here?

Further information, for those interested:

I don't like red turn signals as is the default on Ford trucks. Every other country requires a yellow rear turn signal.
I have been hit by other drivers in stop and go traffic when I've clearly signaled a lane change because they thought it was my brake lights and not a turn signal.
I want yellow turn signals on the back of my Expedition.

I've got a set of LED pods that I can cut into the rear bumper. These will serve as my new reverse lights.
I can now remove the clear reverse bulbs from the stock tail light housings. This frees up the clear portion of the stock tail housings.
Install a yellow 3156A bulb in the reverse light socket. Perfect for a yellow turn signal; flasher signal provided by on the existing wiring to the tail lights.
Red areas on the stock tail light remain for running/marker/parking lights and brake lights.
If I need a pure brake light signal, I can drop a wire down from the center high mounted stop lamp to provide brake light signal.

gural

Reaction score
Hi
So i have 2019 Exp
I live in Europe so we have diffrent road law
I need to have yellow turn signal

I put wires from mirrors( can be from front lights) and putted in the soccet a new bulb holder in which i putted a a light which have 2 options - revers + turn signal

I the orginal part i got only red light for driving (i cutted the wire which was for turn signal)
From 3 brake light i took a wire and connected to red buld holder
but i got problem becouse i when i take input from 3 brake light on driver side it works on pass dont

So i trying to find a possibility to (from FORSCAN) to disable (in orginal light) tail turn signal
if i find it i will have all separate

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when I lived in France with my expedition (back in 2000 to 2005), I had to modify it to have separate yellow turn signals, it actually required me to run one additional wire from the steering column to the rear brake lights. the brake light switch and the indicator wiring all meets at the turn signal switch mounted in the steering column. I disconnected the wire that comes from the brake light switch where it connects to the turn switch in the steering column, and I then extended that wire to the rear of the vehicle, I ran the wire under the carpet to the back of the car. This now meant that when I operated the turn switch, the appropriate rear brake light would flash, but when I stepped on the brake pedal, no lights came on and the flashing rear brake lights were not affected.
I then disconnected the active wires connected to the brake lights at the rear and ran that wire (plus a ground wire) to a new orange light which I had bought, I then took the brake light wire that I had extended to the rear of the car and connected it to both of the brake lights (that I disconnected when I wired in the orange lights). So this meant both brake lights always come on together including the third brake light above the rear door) and are activated by the brake switch. The indicator (orange lights) I then mounted on the car at the rear, they where DOT approved so had the appropriate EU markings and worked exactly as normal indicators should. I found this modification to be the easiest way to modify the car and as stated just required 1 additional wire to be run to the rear. I think it took me 3 hours to do everything, I was in no rush, it could be done a lot quicker.. that was on a 1998 expedition and I did all this work in 2000. Hope that might give you an idea..

gural

Reaction score
my exp is 2019 with out LED light (normal one)
I have seen this part of forum is this is up to 2017 but i assume that in normal version - type of wiring is the same
In Europe i seen about 100 EXP from this years, and only 3 with my body

lamp - assembly - got two parts (two wholes for bulbs)
so i have situation that i have in white part of lamp - revers and turn signal - thay work correct (both sides)
but in the red part (on driver side) i got normal red light + brake but on pass i got only normal light

brake light i took from 3 brake light from tail gate
on one side it works but on second when i connect in same way - after pressing the brake pedal i do not have no light at all on pass side.... normal red light disepares, when i stop press the stop pedal it comes back - but no stop light

I though it should work both side same way but it doesnt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryspaygee