Slightly large drivability concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayries

Reaction score
I’m new here y’all, it’s my first post so I apologize if I ramble a little.
I don’t think there is a thread on this yet, I know there are ones similar but I’m not sure.
I have a 2003 expedition, 148200 miles. I’m having a problem where I simply cannot rev past 4000 rpm’s, and it seems to stop making power at around 3000-3400. Once I hit highway speeds, if there is even a slight incline it will lose speed. If I step on it, it downshifts, still doesn’t pick up speed. No check engine light, I ripped apart the intake, cleaned MAF, cleaned out the air filter, checked for other restrictions and found nothing. I replaced spark plugs and fuel filter, still no better. If I am merging on the expressway, and I keep the rpm’s at about 4000 (while not gaining speed) the SES light flashes, and I get a misfire but as soon as it shifts into the next gear it goes off and runs normal for the vehicle.
So today I was digging around the engine bay, and unplugged what I assume to be the fuel regulator (little black canister on the passenger side of motor above and to the left of the fuel rail, one single vacuum hose plugged into the front.) I took it to Taco Bell and it seemed like it had 10x the power, it threw my 150lb subwoofer box back about 2 feet threw me into the seat (relatively speaking) and revved to about 4200 rpm. Not making as much power as it should, but made power all the way there. However, it continued to accelerate with my foot off the gas pedal so I had to pull over and see what’s wrong and plug it back in. The power was instantly gone again. Also, when I replaced the fuel filter I noticed that it didn’t seem to be overwhelmingly pressurized. It dribbled at best. I’m not quite convinced it’s a fuel pump because I’m not throwing any lean codes(or any codes at all) and it sounds consistent when I turn the key forward.
Everything I have done to no avail—
1gallon lacquer thinner, cleaned egr, fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaned MAF, cleaned throttle body.
I’m just stumped and not sure where else to look for answers.
I can post a video of the way it drives if it helps.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond. Any input at all is appreciated.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what kind of fuel pressure you’re actually getting at the rail. You should see 45-55 psi. See if there’s any pending codes. Then take a look at live data when this condition is occurring and note the fuel trims. Post a picture of the thing under the hood that you were unplugging. Fix your charging issue. I suspect it's in limp mode.

Last edited:

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad fuel regulator? Bad fuel pump? Flashing SES means misfire, so should be some kind of code in OBD II.

OP
OP
A

ayries

Reaction score
D0F2B916-87E9-4C91-9101-6329C334F09B.jpeg

Attachments

• F26DE4E0-10CF-453A-B492-9712F1C1AF14.jpeg
    F26DE4E0-10CF-453A-B492-9712F1C1AF14.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 12

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you unplugged your hot water control valve, and it ran 10x better ? It's in limp mode.
Fix your battery/charging issue, then maybe go get a fuel pressure test kit…..

OTC 5630 Fuel Pressure Test Kit on Amazon

Attachments

• otc-5630_fq_xl.jpg
    otc-5630_fq_xl.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watched the video. Sure looks like it could be a plugged cat. If not, I would look at the fuel pump being bad. Didn't see a flashing CEL, so apparently no misfire. No CEL. That's strange. What's the red light at the bottom of the dash?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watched the video. Sure looks like it could be a plugged cat. If not, I would look at the fuel pump being bad. Didn't see a flashing CEL, so apparently no misfire. No CEL. That's strange. What's the red light at the bottom of the dash?

His battery light. The computer may have thrown it into Limp mode ( limiting the RPMs available...). He needs to fix this issue before anything else.