Slipping Transmission or Ignition Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The PCM should have record of any codes that have been thrown. I don't know if the AutoZone, or your fav auto store, has the right equipment to bring the codes up, but the dealer should be able to do it for free. Check their hours, the dealer by me is open til 8 two nights a week.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The PCM should have record of any codes that have been thrown. I don't know if the AutoZone, or your fav auto store, has the right equipment to bring the codes up, but the dealer should be able to do it for free. Check their hours, the dealer by me is open til 8 two nights a week.

Ok, thanks again Jimmy. When I get it back, even if it is not having issues (fingers crossed) I may do this just for some piece of mind that there is not any sensors or what have you, causing the shift problem.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you will find everyone in agreement that the filter doesn't get changed with a flush. That's WAY different than saying there is some valve that prevents fluid from flowing one way and not another that relates to the filter.

FYI, I specialize in these transmissions and have a STACK of filters for them within arms reach of me most of the day.

I can also tell you with complete certainty that a flush won't really "clean" the filter.

Not that a flush is bad, but it ain't all that.

Darrin

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you will find everyone in agreement that the filter doesn't get changed with a flush. That's WAY different than saying there is some valve that prevents fluid from flowing one way and not another that relates to the filter.

FYI, I specialize in these transmissions and have a STACK of filters for them within arms reach of me most of the day.

I can also tell you with complete certainty that a flush won't really "clean" the filter.

Not that a flush is bad, but it ain't all that.

Darrin

Why do you have so many filters since they are an item that does not need changing?

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you have so many filters since they are an item that does not need changing?

There are more reasons to do things with these transmissions other than routine service. How would you feel if I built a performance transmission for you and you found out that I installed a used filter in it? I don't think anyone woudl be happy with that.

So yes, I have a stack of them. Along with a whole lot of other parts that don't need changed for routine service.

But, if I do service a transmission, I take down the pan and clean everything up in there and crack the old filter open to see whats inside before I install a new filter and put it all back together. It's the only way you can see what is really going on.

Darrin

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I am having the tranny flushed so I will see if this takes care of the shifting issue. (This needs done anyways).

Also while talking to the mechanic, with servicing the transmission he told me I will not need to replace the transmission filter.:confused: I asked him why and he explained that there is a one way valve that allows the "dirty" transmission fluid in but not out (the filter traps dirt). With the "machine" hooked up it allows for the valve to be opened, which then allows the filter to be "cleaned", all dirt is flushed out of entire transmission including the filter. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Well I got my expy back last night. Wow, what a difference in shifting. After all of the comments regarding a transmission flush, I was a little weary that the flush wouldn't fix my shifting issue.

Original issue:When going about 55-60mph and giving it some gas about to 2500-3000K the transmission would stutter like it wanted to downshift but I wasn't going fast enough or give it enough gas to shift into passing gear. Or like it wouldn't "lock" into the lower gear. I am not a mechanic, my explanations may not make sense.

Well so far the truck shifts great! Even better then when I bought it several months ago. The mechanic also said there is not valves in the filter to open to clean (I misunderstood *sorry*). The filter is metal screen and the "additive" added to the transmission before the flush breaks down the sludge on the filter screen. Then running the pressurized flush through the trasmission and etc. the sludge is removed. I am a little wiser now.

Anyways the shifts seem very solid now, time will tell. :)
Thanks for your all of your thoughts and comments everyone.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flush sounds like it may have worked. Your issue sounds exactly like what my F150 was doing...it was like I had to floor it to get it to shift out of overdrive and into a lower gear.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flush sounds like it may have worked. Your issue sounds exactly like what my F150 was doing...it was like I had to floor it to get it to shift out of overdrive and into a lower gear.

Yep, that about sums it up.. I put 25 miles on it today driving it to work. On the way home there is steep hill with turns that my expy hates. I will push it harder to see how it performs. And if it breaks I know the flush didn't help it.. :cheers:

Last edited: