Slipping Transmission or Ignition Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what happened with this? I think ive got the same issue.

Fixed perfectlly, I have put another 5K on the transmission and it shifts better than before. Best $140 I have spend on the truck. I was really doubtful that the flush with the machine would help, but I was so wrong.

This maybe a different issue, but when i was towing a trailer this past weekend that my expy would not shift into 1st gear while going up a really steep hill. I had to almost stop half way up the hill then when I tramped on the gas again it just would bog down like it didn't have enough power to pull the trailer. I stopped manually shifted into 1st and it pulled the trailer the rest of the way up the hill without any problems. Just confused on why it wouldn't "automatically" shift into 1st while moving and giving it gas. I am very happy with the way it shifted when towing the fairly heavy trailer other than the very steep hill.

cbiii

Reaction score
Fixed perfectlly, I have put another 5K on the transmission and it shifts better than before. Best $140 I have spend on the truck. I was really doubtful that the flush with the machine would help, but I was so wrong.

This maybe a different issue, but when i was towing a trailer this past weekend that my expy would not shift into 1st gear while going up a really steep hill. I had to almost stop half way up the hill then when I tramped on the gas again it just would bog down like it didn't have enough power to pull the trailer. I stopped manually shifted into 1st and it pulled the trailer the rest of the way up the hill without any problems. Just confused on why it wouldn't "automatically" shift into 1st while moving and giving it gas. I am very happy with the way it shifted when towing the fairly heavy trailer other than the very steep hill.
hmm. im worried about changing the trans fluids at 175k or so if they havent been changed..who knows what that old fluids holding together!

Reaction score
Any updates to this thread as to what worked to fix the shuddering issue after given all this time?

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
I was just going to add an idea of how to determine if the shudder was in the engine or the trans: take a vacuum gaugue with a small diameter hose attached to manifold vacuum and drive the car. If the vacuum reading changes when the shudder happens then the problem is in the engine, If it doesn't change then the problem is in the transmission. Quick and cheap. (yes I know this is an old post but this may help someone reading later)