Slow grind crank, limp mode...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
I've a 2008 Expedition XLT EL. Randomly it decided to no start and has been sitting for a couple weeks now. When I turn the key to start, I heard the engine slowly turn with a painful grinding metal-sound. With each very slow grinding turn, the dome lights do dim a bit. Also I noticed the green wrench symbol appear (limp mode).

What I've checked and not checked so far...
Before I checked anything, I wanted to see what would happen if I attempted to "jump" the car if it was not getting enough juice to turn the starter over. When I did this I got the same slow grinding churn sound, but then the starter would turn fast (as normal), but still no start. I did notice that the starter would not shut off right away too when I tried this. I also fully charged the battery later and got the same results. After that debacle...

I checked the voltage drop on the battery when starting, went from 12.5 to 10.5. I have not checked the cold crank amps yet with a load test.

I checked every fuse and relay and found nothing wrong.

I have not checked the solenoid as it's such a pain to get to. Thanks Ford.

I checked to see if the Anti-theft light was flashing or still on after I turn the key and it looks fine.

I have not checked the neutral safety switch.

My assumption is that the flywheel or something mechanical is going on with the starter itself where it can't get a solid connection to turn the motor. Or something messed up in the motor and the starter is being prevented from turning it. Not really sure, but seeing how painful it is to get the starter and take it off I wanted to get a very confident diagnosis before getting underway.

Thanks...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d bet your problem lies in a bad battery and/or dirty or poor battery terminal connectors (or a bad ground).

OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
Is there a thread somewhere in the Forum that shows exactly where the starter is? I can't find the starter.

OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
Thanks. So I cleaned the electrical connections on the starter and reconnected them. Then I reconnected the battery (that had been disconnected from the vehicle and on a battery tender for a week). Then I tried to start it once more and it started right up. I turned it off and tried again and it started again. I drove it about a mile and came back home. After I turned it off I then wanted to see if it would start again and this time no. Dome lights flicker, slow grind cranking and nothing.

Thoughts, theories? My guess is the battery. I’m at a loss at this point. I rechecked the starter connections, battery connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
Replaced the very old battery (6 yrs). Still no start, just a painful grinding cranking sound. Listen (I recorded this earlier)...

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
What I would do:
Connect a voltmeter to the battery. What is the voltage before starting and during starting? If the starter drags the voltage severely down then it is shorting internally. If the voltage does not drop then you have a bad wire or connection.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
Starter has to spin fast enough to throw out the gear to engage the flywheel. Sounds like it is not moving into full engagement and grinding gears.

OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score
Starter has to spin fast enough to throw out the gear to engage the flywheel. Sounds like it is not moving into full engagement and grinding gears.

That was my thinking too. What confused me was why it started twice today after I cleaned the solenoid connections, then back to no start on the third attempt. Thanks for the input Eric.

OP
OP
Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius

Reaction score

That was my thinking too. What confused me was why it started twice today after I cleaned the solenoid connections, then back to no start on the third attempt. Thanks for the input Eric.