Slow grind crank, limp mode...

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Jason_Darius, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius Member

The key was in the run position.

As for the radio, it works, but did start to dim portions of the digital screen (clock, station, etc.) just before I encountered this issue. I'll post a pic of that when I get the chance.

2. Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius Member

After rechecking and learning some things I believe the culprit is the signal cable that connects to the starter solenoid S Terminal. It runs from the solenoid, up in a bundle with the battery ground and positive red cable to the solenoid, to a place next to the battery where it connects to a section that goes to the ignition switch. This connection (see picture) looked a little beat up. I tested either side of the male/female connection. The portion that runs to the S Terminal was sending about 9 volts with a fully charged battery. Wiggle it and it may only send 5 volts. The male side of the connection (from the relay/ignition I assume) was getting the full 12.87 volts of my fully changed battery. My understanding is that the cable to the S Terminal should be sending 10-12 volts. Both sides of the cable looked like someone attempted to clean it up and rewrap with electrical tape. I plan on replacing this cable as those voltage numbers seem way off. Also note that I could start the vehicle once it started getting 9 volts.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

A remote start switch will put +12 volts on the S terminal, you can do the same as a test. But the lower voltage is most likely the problem. It shouldn't have any voltage drop.

4. Jason_Darius

Jason_Darius Member

Cleaned via Dremel the loop connection on the S Terminal and then checked voltage. It’s now getting 12.8v from the fully charged battery (yesterday it was barely getting 9v). It’s hard to believe a dirty connection can cause that kind of volt drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

Inside the starter solenoid there are two coils. One is the pull in coil/winding the other is the hold-in coil/winding. Their job is to move the drive gear out to mesh with the ring gear then send power into the starter windings. In order for them to work correctly they need full battery voltage.