So the check engine light started blinking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll start this off with saying: I'm an idiot.

So, the highway here goes through a valley... and it is of course steep on either side. So, in order to get my expedition up the side of the mountain, at 70, which is the speed limit, I have to floor it and the engine hovers around 4K rpm... I've only done this perhaps 5 times total, and today, it was having none of it. The check engine light started to blink, so I pulled over, shut it off, and looked it up...

Internet said I could drive, but slowly, so I started it back up... the check engine light was off, and I didn't hear anything weird, so I continued up the highway... at 40, not 70. I stopped in a parking lot, then revved it a little, and I couldn't hear anything weird- light still off- and I simply came home.

Hopefully nothing is wrong, and the car was just unhappy about running hard, right...? Jeez, what a heck of a way to learn a lesson, I thought I was done doing stupid things back when I still had that dumb explorer :(

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong in itself if you have to floor that truck to get it to maintain speed, if anything it should be quickly exceeding the speed limit even on a steep grade when to the floor.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the CHECK ENGINE light illuminates, it usually means a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) has been set. You need to buy a code reader, or visit AutoZone (or others) that provide
a FREE code read. If a code has been set, you will understand what the computer is telling you about the engine.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something is wrong in itself if you have to floor that truck to get it to maintain speed, if anything it should be quickly exceeding the speed limit even on a steep grade when to the floor.

Does it make a difference if I weigh 490 pounds and the AC is on? Maybe you're onto something, I thought that big 5.4L engine would have a bit more oomph too...

When the CHECK ENGINE light illuminates, it usually means a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) has been set. You need to buy a code reader, or visit AutoZone (or others) that provide
a FREE code read. If a code has been set, you will understand what the computer is telling you about the engine.

I should pay autozone a visit, then! Might learn something useful... Also, it was flashing, not on, it's not on at all right now

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has begun... in a year you will be old enough to drink - that might help ease the pain. LOL

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should pay autozone a visit, then! Might learn something useful... Also, it was flashing, not on, it's not on at all right now
The code is probably still logged. Let us know what codes you get back

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We warned you before you bought the Suv, but your a stubborn one! Buy yourself a better code reader, your gonna need it. A $200.00 novas about right. Your a techie, the better ones show more info, which you want. Like buying a cheap volt/ohm, vs a good one like a top shelf Fluke. Anytime you get a blinking not solid check engine light, the computers telling you, and you know computers, you got a serious drivability problem. Run the codes and get back to us. Kinda makes you wish you'd have bought a Toyota Sequoia! Just kidding. As usual we'll get you through this. Either a cat is bad, or a sensor. No biggie, just gotta figure out what.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing the other day. Nailed the gas, CEL flashed a few times like a misfire, then all good. I need to see if me code reader will tell me anything, I was just trying to forget about is since the CEL didn't stay on so I'm afraid to know LOL

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it make a difference if I weigh 490 pounds and the AC is on? Maybe you're onto something, I thought that big 5.4L engine would have a bit more oomph too...

The 5.4 will pull a truck full of passangers and a 6,000 pound trailer uphill and maintain speed all day long. You are experiencing a serious lack of power there I’d get that trouble code read ASAP. If it’s flashing that’s telling you to get it checked out!

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We warned you before you bought the Suv, but your a stubborn one! Buy yourself a better code reader, your gonna need it. A $200.00 novas about right. Your a techie, the better ones show more info, which you want. Like buying a cheap volt/ohm, vs a good one like a top shelf Fluke. Anytime you get a blinking not solid check engine light, the computers telling you, and you know computers, you got a serious drivability problem. Run the codes and get back to us. Kinda makes you wish you'd have bought a Toyota Sequoia! Just kidding. As usual we'll get you through this. Either a cat is bad, or a sensor. No biggie, just gotta figure out what.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Is my family a lemon magnet? Every single car we have is full of problems, ugh... hopefully this is easy to fix, so oh well, to Autozone I go, tomorrow! Slowly...

The 5.4 will pull a truck full of passangers and a 6,000 pound trailer uphill and maintain speed all day long. You are experiencing a serious lack of power there I’d get that trouble code read ASAP. If it’s flashing that’s telling you to get it checked out!

Oh damn, I'm actually excited to fix this since this thing feels like driving one of our minivans so far!

Mine did the same thing the other day. Nailed the gas, CEL flashed a few times like a misfire, then all good. I need to see if me code reader will tell me anything, I was just trying to forget about is since the CEL didn't stay on so I'm afraid to know LOL

Heh, maybe we can fix em together...