So the check engine light started blinking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's always funny how we take one subject, and spin it into something totally different! That's what I love about the forum. Like talking to a friend on a phone, and one starting conversation spins into something reminding you of another day. Keeps life from being boring.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got one of those emergency hammers, in case you're submerged in water, to break the window? It looks like my Snap on small ball peen hammer. Where was it rattling around in? The kick panel? Couldn't be inside the door panel. In case you haven't already read the posts here about not washing engine down to clean. That will short out your coils in a New York minute! That and one of the small coolant hoses start to leak, that run near the coils.

The uh... I said door panel because I don't know the name of it, the little drawer in the bottom of the door is what I mean. Also, while I haven't washed the engine... it has been raining really hard recently, perhaps something got in there, I dunno. I would like to clean the engine bay someday, clean engines look great, but spraying a hose around in there would be... not smart.

Just for the sake of being clear, I mean it was sliding around in this thing:

unknown.png

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the bottom of the door is referred to as a door panel storage tray. In the olden days we used to call that a map storage, due to the fact we used paper gas station maps a lot. No GPS, and if you couldn't find what you wanted, you found a pay phone and called the person.

Plati

Reaction score
These things claim "Recover horsepower and improve fuel economy" and I'm sure many people buy into that. Makes sense, right? If the fan clutch doesnt engage and drive the fan using the serpentine belt (driven by the engine) then there must be more horsepower to the wheels and better fuel economy?

Physics has this law called "Conservation of Energy" though. The energy to drive the electric fan comes from ... the serpentine belt (driven by the engine)! So .. whats the deal here? Can anyone shed light on the real story?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If electric fans work so well, how come their not used across the board. From 4 cylinder all the way to 12 cylinders. Probably a cost thing. I know that all 4 and 6cylinder cars for the past 25 years or more pretty much all used electrical fans. Like on Harleys I used to work with, they used a strong drive belt due to the least loss of horsepower/torque to the rear wheel. At only 65-75 horsepower, they needed all the help they could muster pushing a 800 pound Electra glide up grades with baggage and passenger.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electricity is a strange magical thing... the realm of unicorns and leperchauns and such, no doubt. My kids and I were messing around w/ a little DC electric motor hooked up to an LED and spinning the motor which would induce current enough to light the LED. You could give the motor a good fast twist with your fingers, without a load, and it would spin an additional few rotations due to momentum. Hook up the LED and give it the same little spin and you could feel the difference and it would not free spin at all with a load - it took a whole lot more effort to get the LED to light. Being pretty ignorant in the field of electricity things started to click: you know, when a gas powered generator changes RPM's to account for additional load - it now made more sense experiencing it. Same for your vehicle's IAC valve needing to increase RPMs due to electrical loads.

DontBeJeff

Reaction score
How many miles are on them spark plugs? Sounds like bad plugs or possibly a fuel filter if it has one or a critical fuel pump.
I would still take it to the shop. I thought the same thing, and it ended up being a bad COP. As always, get a good diagnostic before shotgunning parts - it'll save you time and money.