Soaking wet passenger front carpeting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, all...

This past weekend I discovered that the carpeting on the front passenger side was soaking wet....with no obvious cause (no spills, no evidence of a leak). Is there some AC drain on that side I cant see?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

smith

Reaction score
Do you have a sunroof? If so the drain on that side is probably stopped up.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue when I bought my 2010 (was a few years old). Yes, the sunroof drain can be causing this, but the problem I had was much easier to fix. Took me a while to find it, and the entire front passenger carpet took a while to dry out and also had some mold to deal with under the carpet. After removing the plastic kick panel by the passenger's feet, I noticed that there is an access panel about 2"x4" that is supposed to be plugged with a rubber insert. If I remember correctly, it's partially hidden behind the computer that's mounted down there. The rubber plug had fallen out and was laying just below it. Without that plug, water being thrown up by the right front tire was making it's way into the cabin and soaking the carpet. Once I reinserted the insert plug, the problem went away. Not sure what caused it to fall out in the first place. Hasn't been a problem since.

I tried to find a picture or diagram, but couldn't. Sorry

If you see the plug/insert correctly in place, then I'd move to the sunroof drain issue next. Good luck!

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where does the windshield drain to in these Expeditions? I had a similar problem in a Dodge Caravan. Actually, the water was sloshing around behind the dash. Turns out bits of leaves had plugged the drain tube. Wasn't a big deal to fix.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That kickpanel rubber grommet...I spray foamed it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check the sunroof drain. It turns out the AC evap was bad, the dealer replaced it this week.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My son's Escape had a sunroof drain clog and soaked the inside of his vehicle. I found that running string trimmer line down the drain cleaned it out and no more issues. Didn't want to use air compressor in case it blew the line off a connector. Do that as preventative maintenance now.

smith

Reaction score
Just notice yesterday that my passenger carpet is wet. Don't have a sunroof and the rubber grommet is in place so now what should I look for?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just notice yesterday that my passenger carpet is wet. Don't have a sunroof and the rubber grommet is in place so now what should I look for?

Check the rubber accordion conduit between the door and the A pillar (by the door hinges). It is a press-fit into the A-pillar and door, and if dislodged, it can allow water to run inside the A-pillar and onto the carpet (behind the inside floor kick panel). Also check the conduit for rips / tears / cuts - it has numerous folds so you will have to examine each fold carefully.

Also check the body mounted rubber strip to ensure it is firmly seated on the body. The weather strip is a press-fit, and if loose, can be pulled off and squeezed with your fingers to tighten up the attachment point. If loose, or dislodged or torn, it can car allow water to run behind it, to the bottom of the body, then onto the floor carpet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360