Soaking wet passenger front carpeting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smith

Reaction score
The rubber strip on the body is also OK. Just checked the conduit between the door and it is OK. What is next?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rubber strip on the body is also OK. Just checked the conduit between the door and it is OK. What is next?

Ford has thin, rectangular drain openings at the bottom of the doors - and they put a small plastic cap over the drain opening (why I don’t know - stupid).

The black plastic caps pop out easily with a small screwdriver (such as a slotted jeweler’s screwdriver). Remove the caps and see if there is any debris build-up. If so, use the screwdriver or the non-clasp end of a plastic zip tie to clear the clog.

If the drain holes clog, water can build-up in the door bottom, then overflow behind the door panel and onto the floor.

smith

Reaction score
Thanks. Stupid question where is the heater plenum drain hose located?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's the hose that the air conditioning condensate is supposed to drain from. I know that's no help in November. Poke around under the car in the area where the dash/heater lies. It should be a short hose. Perhaps someone can provide a better answer. When you find it, run a wire up it to free up the mung. Leaves and dirt get in the vents below the windshield, rot and clog the hose.

urslo

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2017 Limited Expedition. Currently i am riding around with all the plastic floor trim removed and a round plastic stopper plug removed from the wiring trough in the rocker panel area.
I discovered this problem vacuuming the front drivers floor and noticed the carpet was wet.
I suspect that its leaking from behind the rear drivers side door, up high somewhere, because itll get the carpet wet under the rear seat behind the driver. The rear floor is much higher than the drivers side floor.
The rocker panel trough would fill up with water and the carpet would soak it up.
My next step is to remove the rear plastic side panel holding the headliner up. Its the big one. It might be a pinch weld on the side to roof panel (colored chalking compound, seam sealer)

Good Luck,

Ron

jkginn3rd

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my 08. My issue was caused by the rear window washer feed line coming loose. I filled my washer fluid up and notice a couple days later that it was empty. Thought my wife had gotten trigger happy with the windshield washer, but then noticed the passenger side carpet was wet. I filled the washer fluid back up and left the doors open with some fans going to help dry out the carpet. At this point, I didn't put 2 and 2 together. About a week goes by and my wife tells me the carpet is wet again so I go take a look and while I was poking around, I noticed that once again the washer fluid was empty. Still not putting it together, I ask the wife why she keeps emptying the washer fluid and she tells me she wasn't but she did notice that when she tries to wash the rear window, no water comes out. Light Bulb! I did little Googling and found that the rear washer feed line runs down the passenger side. So I removed the passenger side kick panel and just as the floor starts to curve up, behind the wires and computer, there it was. the line had come apart and when she would try to use the rear sprayer it would create a siphon and empty the washer fluid into the passenger side floorboard. Anyway, just thought I would share and possibly give another place to look.

MV828

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I was able to use it and decided to remove the passenger side finder. It turns out that over the years leaves and debris had gathered from the cowl and stopped up the drain for the firewall. We were able to use a wire coat hanger and the water hose to clean it out. I was amazed by the amount of debris that we cleaned out! No more wet floor and a dry area for the new fuse box I installed! Hope this helps someone!
I'm going to attach some photos.

Attachments

• 20210704_185509.jpg
    20210704_185509.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210704_185306.jpg
    20210704_185306.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 32

ilayvonne

Reaction score
Hi, all...

This past weekend I discovered that the carpeting on the front passenger side was soaking wet....with no obvious cause (no spills, no evidence of a leak). Is there some AC drain on that side I cant see?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
I'll bet it's the heater core, they can be known to do that.