Solution for frozen locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First frost and ice of the season last night. Come out to the expy this morning and locks froze in place and key not strong enough to break free and open door, same with passenger side. Had to crawl through the the back seat and open my door from the inside out. Not doing this all winter...no leaks or anything anywhere on this truck yet it’s always styggled with frozen doors.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First frost and ice of the season last night. Come out to the expy this morning and locks froze in place and key not strong enough to break free and open door, same with passenger side. Had to crawl through the the back seat and open my door from the inside out. It doing this all winter...no leaks or anything anywhere on this truck yet it’s always styggled with frozen doors.

There are 2 things. There is actually a spray for unfreezing and a standard silicone spray for preventing. Mobile and at work, but can look up the brands I used to use later today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wife was home, so had her look in Garage.

Hillman Brand DeIcer for that need it open now..lock. Not as much of a help on those of us that have covered key holes and fully electronic locks now.

Liquid Wrench lock lubricant for prevention. Spray in key hole and on latch assemblies. Looks like they make a combo lubricant and de icer now.

Those were my go to when I did auto glass, and for my own personal use. My old Jetta was famous for frozen locks. The liquid wrench applied 2 or so times a winter helped to almost completely eliminate it.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife was home, so had her look in Garage.

Hillman Brand DeIcer for that need it open now..lock. Not as much of a help on those of us that have covered key holes and fully electronic locks now.

Liquid Wrench lock lubricant for prevention. Spray in key hole and on latch assemblies. Looks like they make a combo lubricant and de icer now.

Those were my go to when I did auto glass, and for my own personal use. My old Jetta was famous for frozen locks. The liquid wrench applied 2 or so times a winter helped to almost completely eliminate it.

Thanks for the advice LokiWolf, I think I’ll pick up a can of the liquid wrench and try it out.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice LokiWolf, I think I’ll pick up a can of the liquid wrench and try it out.

Yeah, Going to pickup a can myself. It wasn’t always a combined product...Good Luck, Hope it helps!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In a squeeze you can take a lighter and heat up the key, then insert it into the key hole. Has worked for me a few times but on older cars.

Can also bathe the key in Hand Sanitizer or Rubbing Alcohol, but long term, a protectant is better.

Plati

Reaction score
I've always parked the Expys outside. For mornings when I needed to get in it and go, and couldn't wait for it to warm up to defrost the windshield .... I had a mix of water, alcohol, and antifreeze in a spray bottle. Have to be conservative though, you cant pour a volume of warm liquid on a mass of glass or the thermal shock can cause breakage -- so I limited it to a light misting. Similar to deicing an airplane. The joys of living in NYS

Those frozen windows on the Expy are scary. If you try to open them in that frozen state .... POP and there goes the window regulator. I never try to open a frozen side window, wait for meltage.

I always have a supply of 98.6 degree warm yellow liquid to defrost the door locks in an emergency situation.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And guys please don’t scrape the frost off your glass...any dirt buildup and you’ve scratched it. Yikes. Warm it up or use the spray deicer mentioned earlier.