Solution for frozen locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about keyless entry via keypad or fob?
that doesnt open door either?

Nope, that’s why I made the thread it was frozen and neither my fob or key unlocked the door. That night was a soaking rain and next morning it was all frost and ice.

Plati

Reaction score
I must admit multiple issues with these doors (not latching, not unlatching, locks frozen closed, etc) all with different issues .... Lots of parts in there and different designs for different years! Way over my head.

I went to the "door lock actuator" idea partly because the passenger door doesnt have a key like the driver side, so spraying lubricant inside the key mechanism isnt an option on that door. If it aint the key on the passenger door, probably isnt key on driver door either?

And (me not really knowing) the "door lock actuator" isnt the latch mechanism, maybe it just prevents the latch mechanism from releasing/opening so door would stay closed? Sort of the reverse of if it got stuck and prevented latch from engaging (problem where door doesnt latch closed like on mine).

When its frozen & door wont open ... and you hit it with keyfob ----- does that pin at top by the window travel up & down or is it stuck in the lock position also? Like it shows at start of video.

Maybe this is a stretch but another problem in rain/frozen is actual ice freezing the door to the body (rubber seals and such) where you have to break the ice keeping door closed to get it open. I suppose you lock the door every time so you know it isnt that.

When my door wont latch and stay closed ... I can get that problem solved by cycling the lock mechanism using the keyfob. A few lock unlock cycles and the door will latch closed and stay that way - so I know there is an interaction between the lock actuator and latch.

My head is spinning now!

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So much to say, so little time!

Mr Sticker - Most likely you have a door alignment issue. You door is most likely low or right because of a worn hinge. The latch on the actual door frame can be loosened and moved small distances to align. The latch can’t close around the bar because the weight of the door is preventing it. Locking and unlocking moves it slowly to the point it can close(This is REALLY bad for the actuator and mechanism). Take it to a good body shop!

All Expy’s have external keys holes on the Driver door, just the keyless models are covered up behind plastic. That serves one purpose. It insulated the metal from the elements and moisture. That helps to prevent ice lock in the actual mechanism.

The sprays like I suggested above help with that condition by coating the metal and preventing the ice from forming! That same spray can be used on the actual mechanism on the side of the door, but long term a good grease is also suggested. That lubricates the mechanism and prevents water from staying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
So much to say, so little time!

Mr Sticker - Most likely you have a door alignment issue. You door is most likely low or right because of a worn hinge. The latch on the actual door frame can be loosened and moved small distances to align. The latch can’t close around the bar because the weight of the door is preventing it. Locking and unlocking moves it slowly to the point it can close(This is REALLY bad for the actuator and mechanism). Take it to a good body shop!

All Expy’s have external keys holes on the Driver door, just the keyless models are covered up behind plastic. That serves one purpose. It insulated the metal from the elements and moisture. That helps to prevent ice lock in the actual mechanism.

The sprays like I suggested above help with that condition by coating the metal and preventing the ice from forming! That same spray can be used on the actual mechanism on the side of the door, but long term a good grease is also suggested. That lubricates the mechanism and prevents water from staying around.

I appreciate the discussion & feedback. I however disagree that the problem with my 2003XLT driver door not latching in extra cold freezing weather is door alignment. Its clearly only during a deep freeze (5 degrees Fahrenheit or less) and almost always every year - just the first couple big freezes of the winter for some odd reason. Alignment seems spot on and owned since new. I seem to recall that I can observe the latch staying open even after closing door and door fully seating against body but latch not latching so it just bounces off. PITA! Of course I could be wrong, everyone can always be wrong. I know that.

I'm a big fan of lubricating anything and everything including locks. My "go to" fluid for lock mechanisms is this graphited fluid. Have used it (sparingly) on the ignition switch, door keys, and various master locks that are outdoor. Gotta spray it and work the mechanism to get it distributed all throughout. The trailer tongue ball lock on my snowmobile trailer is a great example of how well this works in a full winter outdoor environment. There are a lot of other products too, most good - all better than nothing. Although I personally would not put Fluid Film in a lock, too gooey. I have some locks covered in plastic shield that keeps all water out. Grease is good on many parts on the Expy also, especially the non water soluble grease.
IMG_0408.JPG

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate the discussion & feedback. I however disagree that the problem with my 2003XLT driver door not latching in extra cold freezing weather is door alignment. Its clearly only during a deep freeze (5 degrees Fahrenheit or less) and almost always every year - just the first couple big freezes of the winter for some odd reason. Alignment seems spot on and owned since new. I seem to recall that I can observe the latch staying open even after closing door and door fully seating against body but latch not latching so it just bounces off. PITA! Of course I could be wrong, everyone can always be wrong. I know that.
View attachment 27525

You never said it only happened in the cold, just that it didn’t latch...if you did, then I missed that.

The latch is mechanical, so if it isn’t latching in winter, then my suggestion is next time it is warmer, clean the latch mechanism REALLY well with a solvent. Personally I would use WD40, and remove all grease/grit/Dirt and then degrease it. Then grease it again. Exercise the latch many times during the process, both during cleaning and greasing. See if that takes care of your issue. You might have a burr or dry spot somewhere, and when the metal contracts it gets too tight to allow movement. Still think door alignment could be an issue. It might be that the latch bar isn’t fully depressing the release when it is cold. Just ideas...

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The nicest thing about a remote start is that you can warm up the car and de-ice the windows before you get in it. Really appreciate that stuff in the dead of a 10-degree New York winter at the seashore.

I bought my sweetheart "remote start" for her Rogue for Christmas last year but had it done in early Dec and she is still thanking me every single cold day....talk about a return on investment!

R/

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loki,

The doors not latching in cold weather is actually a thing with these trucks. My 2015 doors will bounce back open when you close them in really cold weather. I’ve had all my doors do this only on the Expedition. I’ve never had it happen on any other vehicle. Huge pain to unthaw them with a mini torch so I can close the doors and drive down the road. They recalled F150’s for it but have yet to do this for the Expedition. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/775137001

Plati

Reaction score
Loki,

The doors not latching in cold weather is actually a thing with these trucks. My 2015 doors will bounce back open when you close them in really cold weather. I’ve had all my doors do this only on the Expedition. I’ve never had it happen on any other vehicle. Huge pain to unthaw them with a mini torch so I can close the doors and drive down the road. They recalled F150’s for it but have yet to do this for the Expedition. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/775137001
When this happens with my 2003 Expy .... I cycle the electronic door lock a few times, maybe the handle, open & close it in between and I can get it to latch. Once I discovered this it has worked every time. No guarantees it will work for everybody.

Thats a LOT better than using the seat belt to keep the door from flying open, or tying a rope between the two front doors, or other solutions! The worst is when you dont know the door hasnt latched until you drive around a corner & the door swings open:eek:

I really think this is caused by the door lock actuator but Im not going to replace it to find out. Maybe someone else knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman