Some Issues in 2022 Expedition Max Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mamabear1987

Reaction score
I’ve had my 22 expedition max since April of last year. There are a few concerns I’m having. At a cold start, my vehicle puts off a ton of exhaust, enough to fill my garage if I had my garage closed. It continues doing so well into driving for at least 5 min. It doesn’t matter if it’s cold or hot outside. It’s been doing this since I purchased it. I also notice it puts out more if I remote start it. Also when it’s been really cold in AM at start up, I’ve had trouble getting my vehicle into gear, I can shift it to drive or reverse but it’s like it’s stuck in neutral. I eventually get it going but I’ve never had a vehicle do this. I’ll add that I live in GA so when I say cold I mean in the 20’s. I’ve also had my speakers go completely haywire on me a couple times. Like ear splitting screeching and it has taken some time to get it to stop by turning the vehicle off and on over and over again. Also brakes are starting to squeak which is irritating since my vehicle only has 11,000 miles on it. Im dropping it off next week to get it checked out at the dealership. I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues. Thanks

gural

Reaction score
regarding the ton of exhaust - check if the level of cooling fluid is correct - sometimes the there is direct leak to exhaust you can have such a problem

in rest - i would put the car asap to the service - although sometimes the transmiton can tug a little big when you shift from p do d, but it should not go or stuck in neutral

OP
OP
mamabear1987

mamabear1987

Reaction score
Thank you! I took it in this week but they didn’t have the time to look into all the issues even though I communicated these issues when scheduling the appointment

mdexp

Reaction score
I’ve had my 22 expedition max since April of last year. There are a few concerns I’m having. At a cold start, my vehicle puts off a ton of exhaust, enough to fill my garage if I had my garage closed. It continues doing so well into driving for at least 5 min. It doesn’t matter if it’s cold or hot outside. It’s been doing this since I purchased it. I also notice it puts out more if I remote start it. Also when it’s been really cold in AM at start up, I’ve had trouble getting my vehicle into gear, I can shift it to drive or reverse but it’s like it’s stuck in neutral. I eventually get it going but I’ve never had a vehicle do this. I’ll add that I live in GA so when I say cold I mean in the 20’s. I’ve also had my speakers go completely haywire on me a couple times. Like ear splitting screeching and it has taken some time to get it to stop by turning the vehicle off and on over and over again. Also brakes are starting to squeak which is irritating since my vehicle only has 11,000 miles on it. Im dropping it off next week to get it checked out at the dealership. I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues. Thanks
I've also had a max since around the same time last year (Limited Max Stealth). I haven't noticed anything with the exhaust or had any problems with shifting. I have however had the screeching from the speakers (see post - https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/total-meltdown-help-2022-expedition-max-limited.50720/). It only happened one time and I had a hard time getting it to stop. Took it to dealer and they couldn't find anything. Fortunately it hasn't happened again, but there were some suggestions in the thread I linked that may be worth having them check.

Arthuryy

Reaction score
It is recommended not to drive that car anymore, it is too dangerous, go to the dealer to check it

litaz1

Reaction score
I have a ‘22 XLT and picked it up in August. I notice when the weather is cooler in the morning, there is visible exhaust which I can see from my reverse camera. It usually goes away once the engine has warmed up.

My brakes squeak too! I chalked it up to them being dusty as my husband has a ‘22 F-150 and his brakes also squeak. Our gravel driveway is several hundred feet long so I figured that’s what caused the squeak.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a ‘22 XLT and picked it up in August. I notice when the weather is cooler in the morning, there is visible exhaust which I can see from my reverse camera. It usually goes away once the engine has warmed up.

My brakes squeak too! I chalked it up to them being dusty as my husband has a ‘22 F-150 and his brakes also squeak. Our gravel driveway is several hundred feet long so I figured that’s what caused the squeak.
Do not know about the exhaust but my brakes don't squeak because of dust, live on a dirt road and none of my vehicles have squeaky brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360