Some Issues Observed in XLT 2020 - Need Forum Opinion and Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Relative to item #3, I've driven in many countries; however, I've never driven in Saudi Arabia. The the lane departure system relies on painted lines on the road to locate the vehicle. In the absence of well painted exposed lines on one or both sides of the road the system turns the dotted lines gray on the side where the line is absent or obscured. The discussion above relative to keeping the windshield clean where the cameras are is pertinent as well; but, if there are no lines on the road, it won't work. Here in the U.S. different states and localities have various levels of road maintenance. When I travel to Northern Michigan, many roads are crumbling and have no lines; so, it doesn't work.

Relative to item #4, it depends on velocity. Here in the US where we have a lowest common denominator approach to speed limits; I'm ashamed to admit that I have never cruised for a long distance in my Expedition at more than 140 km/h. At that speed, I get 8.5 km/L. I would imagine that fuel economy would degrade significantly at higher speeds. What speeds are you getting 6.7 km/L?

Relative to item #5, I experience the same, it's irritating and I believe it is either poor PCM programming, or possibly engine ingestion of crankcase gases and liquids through the PVC system causing poor combustion.

Relative to item #6, what speeds are you experiencing the sound at? Keep in mind that despite being a "GCC" spec unit, the drivetrain has not been dynamically balanced. I expect there are dealerships or shops in KSA that specialize in high speed powertrain dynamic balancing, which would reduce high speed vibration that may be "driving" the noise(s) you are hearing.

BTW if you have a '20 XLT, you don't have leather seats, they are Naugahyde. It looks and feels very much like leather; but, it is synthetic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Relative to item #3, I've driven in many countries; however, I've never driven in Saudi Arabia. The the lane departure system relies on painted lines on the road to locate the vehicle. In the absence of well painted exposed lines on one or both sides of the road the system turns the dotted lines gray on the side where the line is absent or obscured. The discussion above relative to keeping the windshield clean where the cameras are is pertinent as well; but, if there are no lines on the road, it won't work. Here in the U.S. different states and localities have various levels of road maintenance. When I travel to Northern Michigan, many roads are crumbling and have no lines; so, it doesn't work.

Relative to item #4, it depends on velocity. Here in the US where we have a lowest common denominator approach to speed limits; I'm ashamed to admit that I have never cruised for a long distance in my Expedition at more than 140 km/h. At that speed, I get 8.5 km/L. I would imagine that fuel economy would degrade significantly at higher speeds. What speeds are you getting 6.7 km/L?

Relative to item #5, I experience the same, it's irritating and I believe it is either poor PCM programming, or possibly engine ingestion of crankcase gases and liquids through the PVC system causing poor combustion.

Relative to item #6, what speeds are you experiencing the sound at? Keep in mind that despite being a "GCC" spec unit, the drivetrain has not been dynamically balanced. I expect there are dealerships or shops in KSA that specialize in high speed powertrain dynamic balancing, which would reduce high speed vibration that may be "driving" the noise(s) you are hearing.

BTW if you have a '20 XLT, you don't have leather seats, they are Naugahyde. It looks and feels very much like leather; but, it is synthetic.
Thanks for the Naugahyde "revelation". It really added to my knowledge. XLT 2020 with package 202a is advertised as "XLT Leather" by the local dealerships - hence I came to know its not real leather - ::makes sad face:: plus false advertising to the unknowing customers.

For Item # 3 : I am kinda not sure myself and facing unpredictable behavior from lane guidance system. Probably the lane divider markers may have to do something with it as well as you mentioned. For my location some roads have lane markers (white/yellow) painted on, some others have cat-eyes pegged in the roads as lane dividers. When it works, i believe it works well in low lighting condition as well. However still am guessing what triggers it to work and why it goes grey sometimes. It is not the speed >= 40KM/h for me.

For Item # 4 : I have driven at long distances 400-800 KM inter city routes at around 140KM/H . I have an upcoming trip of around 450KM where I will better observe the fuel average. The 6.7 KM/L average is based on daily city commute with multiple strides of stop and go (signals / traffic / rush hour) where the speed mostly remains the range of 30-95 KM/H. As you mentioned, sorry for my limited understanding, please correct if needed, I assume fuel economy should improve at higher speeds and stretches of uninterrupted driving (instead of getting degraded).

For Item # 5 : Ok, so it is something which happens. Well it will be kinda hard to explain to the dealership servicemen in my next warranty checkup and service visit - as to what I want to be rectified or calibrated.

For Item # 6 : The sound was not actually felt under the floor or coming from drive train. It was more of rattling / clacking from inside the drive cabin. So was asking most usual possible suspected areas which I can scan. I assume any drive train calibration would already have been performed by authorized dealerships while/after importing GCC specs units.

Cheers.

KPhend

Reaction score
As far as the lane keeping goes, the lines are grey if the system doesn't "see" the lines on the road. If there is only a center divider line then the right display stays gray and doesn't function until it sees a line and vice versa.

Dewey3

Reaction score
The remote windows up/down feature are separate from the auto start and as you have noticed, not on the XLT. I've played with FORScan looking for that, but have not been successful... it might require a physical module.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The remote windows up/down feature are separate from the auto start and as you have noticed, not on the XLT. I've played with FORScan looking for that, but have not been successful... it might require a physical module.
The 2019 XLT’s allowed global windows through Forscan for the front two windows. If you have the one touch up and down windows, then your hardware should be correct. Have you checked the Forscan section of this forum? I believe the 2020’s are different than the 2019’s. You would likely have to enable things on the BCM, drivers door module, and passenger door module.

OP
OP
A

AlterEgo

Reaction score
The 2019 XLT’s allowed global windows through Forscan for the front two windows. If you have the one touch up and down windows, then your hardware should be correct. Have you checked the Forscan section of this forum? I believe the 2020’s are different than the 2019’s. You would likely have to enable things on the BCM, drivers door module, and passenger door module.
Thanks for introducing ForScan. I have never used it. I mostly just used Torque for getting the info with my previous car - not making changes to any factory settings.

Can you inform if ForScan needs a particular model/build of OBD adapter or will it work with any run of the mill bluetooth OBDs. I have the following one

1656409590977.png

Will it allow me to make any changes. As I read in the ForScan forum quickly it always cautious to backup the settings before making changes.

Secondly for any config modification via ForScan - will it void the warranty status or the dealership would have a way of knowing about it upon the next visit.

Any post you can recommend for beginner's intro to ForScan.

Thanks.