Some Rear Wiper Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been looking for a replacement for my 2017 rear arm so I could use a different blade.
The factory blades don't last anywhere near as long as most of the after market blades that I've used on other vehicles.
Thanks for this info.

schulzie

Reaction score
I ordered and installed the new arm, and a 17” blade (RainX). It fit perfectly, and it was great to finally have a wiper that actually cleans the area and doesn’t leave a dirt trail! Thank you all for the input. 2012 EL.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Following the advice in this thread, I ordered a Dorman generic rear wiper arm for my 2017 EL XLT. But, I'm having great difficulty getting the old wiper arm off.

It seems the factory rear wiper arm is aluminum that's press-fit onto to a threaded steel stud. When two dissimilar metals like this get wet while in direct contact with each other, it causes galvanic corrosion. The threaded stud is now corroded as is the 13mm attaching nut. (BTW, the factory used blue thread-locking compound on that attaching nut.)

I was able to remove the nut but the wiper arm won't budge. I don't want to pry too hard as I'm worried about breaking the glass.

I don't have a factory service manual for my 2017, but I do have one for my old 2009 (which I'm guessing is pretty much the same). It says the rear wiper arm should be removed using a "two-legged gear puller." I do have one of these but I haven't used it in years, so of course I have no idea where it is now LOL. That's why I had to take my truck down to a local mechanic to see if he could get the rear wiper arm off for me.

UPDATE: They were able to get the factory rear wiper arm off with a gear puller. I asked them to apply some anti-seize compound to the stud. Hopefully, this will help in case I need to remove it again in the future.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Following the advice in this thread, I ordered a Dorman generic rear wiper arm for my 2017 EL XLT. But, I'm having great difficulty getting the old wiper arm off.

It seems the factory rear wiper arm is aluminum that's press-fit onto to a threaded steel stud. When two dissimilar metals like this get wet while in direct contact with each other, it causes galvanic corrosion. The threaded stud is now corroded as is the 13mm attaching nut. (BTW, the factory used blue thread-locking compound on that attaching nut.)

I was able to remove the nut but the wiper arm won't budge. I don't want to pry too hard as I'm worried about breaking the glass.

I don't have a factory service manual for my 2017, but I do have one for my old 2009 (which I'm guessing is pretty much the same). It says the rear wiper arm should be removed using a "two-legged gear puller." I do have one of these but I haven't used it in years, so of course I have no idea where it is now LOL. That's why I had to take my truck down to a local mechanic to see if he could get the rear wiper arm off for me.

UPDATE: They were able to get the factory rear wiper arm off with a gear puller. I asked them to apply some anti-seize compound to the stud. Hopefully, this will help in case I need to remove it again in the future.

There's an amusing how-to video on this rear wiper wherein it takes the guy 3 hours to get that wiper off. :D I just soaked mine in rust penetrant, left it overnight and the next day it came off pretty easily.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's an amusing how-to video on this rear wiper wherein it takes the guy 3 hours to get that wiper off. :D I just soaked mine in rust penetrant, left it overnight and the next day it came off pretty easily.

I use this puller on wiper arms and stuck battery post terminals. Works very well and I haven't broke it yet. Made in USA too.

Lisle Battery Terminal / Wiper Arm puller on Amazon

View attachment 69571
What they said, I did both. Used some spray let it sit for a few, and then used a small puller. Came right off.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been looking for a replacement for my 2017 rear arm so I could use a different blade.
The factory blades don't last anywhere near as long as most of the after market blades that I've used on other vehicles.
Thanks for this info.

The Gen2 rear wiper arms took a standard J-hook type wiper, and they are interchangeable with the Gen3 arms.

Ford 6L1Z17526A was the standard style Gen2 arm. The Gen3 arm "looks" better, but the Gen2 arm "works" better for cleaning the rear window.

Ford 6L1Z17526A Wiper Arm on Amazon

Last edited:

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2014 rear arm broke in the car wash, flimsy design. I just replaced it with the Dorman arm listed here. Sprayed the nut with WD-40 a couple days in advance. The nut came off no problem and I was able to work the old arm off with a flathead screwdriver. The Dorman arm is a nice improvement.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IDK what all the fuss is about, I just got a cheap blade for my third gen online, installed it in a minute, and it does all I could ever want.