Sony THX system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 2011 Navigator that has the Sony THX stereo in it. I know that the rear sub amp is run in 2 ohms and I was wondering if anyone has dropped the load to 1 ohm? I would like to go to a better hitting sub but anything aftermarket is just gonna require more power and I don’t really have the space for a sub box as I have to haul my daughters wheelchair around

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not necessarily. If you do your homework and find a replacement sub that has an efficiency number of 92 db or higher, it should hit harder than your stock woofer. As far as dropping down to a 1 ohm load, it will play louder, but also heat the amp more. Subwoofer amps get hot enough as it is due to the load bass notes put on them to begin with. That and their buried, with little cooling. If you do go with a 1 ohm, run a small 12 volt fan cooling the amp. Even that may not be enough. No, running a bigger amp, and separate enclosure is the only way to put out window rattling bass. You might look into the bigger 10inch self powered bazooka tubes. I ran a 8 inch one in my Lincoln mark 7, and it put out some respectable bass. And their small, compared to a box.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just reading online about a guy that replaced his 8 inch sub in the rear of his 2007 Expedition. He stated his amp was 4 ohm not 2. He also said the speaker he replaced the stock one with was a infinity 8 inch with 92 db sensitivity. Your Lincoln like the Ford has a bolt that goes through the magnet. You'll have to remove that, which I hear is not so easy. He got his from Crutchfield, they've got that 60 day return deal, so.

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the specs the sub amp in the 14 speaker THX system is run at 2ohms. When I google replacements I get 2 and 4 ohm subs. Guess I won’t really know unless I do a resistance check. The stereo was changed in the 2009 model year so that could be the difference also

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you know what you gotta do! Pull the sub, measure the ohms across leads, see what you got. Do a little more digging as will I. Trying to find specs on factory items isn't always easy. On top of that, you'll get Info all over the place. Some members say this, some say that. Best thing is pull your amp/speaker, do your own measurements. Speakers easy, amp, not so much. But you'll have a baseline to start with. Theirs a lot of aftermarket amps that will fit in the same spot as OEM, but do you want to wire in adapter wires/plugs? That's where the fun starts. Some are easy, some not so much. Best easy bet, find an efficient 8 inch replacement woofer, call it a day. Unless your willing to go beyond to separate box/amp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE