Spark plug stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prwhitt2040

Reaction score
I took my 2003 expedition to my neighbor to change plugs n coil packs and he called to tell me that the second plug back on passengers side would not come out. He tried a magnet and it still wouldn’t. He said all it did was continually turn. It had a misfire but by the device hooked to it, there was only one misfire and that was eight cylinder. Now it’s all done expect the second plug back on passenger side and misses still. How can I get it out?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it won't tighten back down, and it won't unscrew and come out ? Your best bet is to probably take it to a good repair shop in your area and let them look at it. Explain the problem and see what kind of ideas they come up with. It could involve pulling the head(s) off, or maybe just installing a Timesert thread repair insert once they get the sparkplug out. But it's a huge pain in the can, and not something the average owner is able to tackle.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated, it sounds like the threads in the spark plug hole have been stripped from the head, the key will be getting the spark plug out and that will be hard without removing the head from the engine!! Once the spark plug is out you have a couple of options to repair the threads, the cost is not expensive <$100, but getting the head off and the plug out will be time consuming and expensive.. I have known people that managed to weld a metal rod to the spark plug electrode and then pull the spark plug out with a puller (using the welded rod), but often the spark plug breaks as they are not intended to take forces from the external electrode contact point. If it was me, I would be removing the head from the engine, then push the spark plug out from the underside of the cylinder head, and then insert a heli coil or timesert to repair the damaged thread, then refit the cylinder head, but it's a lot of work.. Good luck.