Spark plug threads damaged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexEx

Reaction score
Recently changed the cop & spark plug on the #8 because the coil was reading as bad, so I always make an effort to go ahead & change out plug since I'm there(high mileage)..as I was backing out the plug it was screaching & difficult to get out at first but eventually came out. I NOTICED a bit of slight damage to the old plug's threads but put new one in & immediately thought it wasn't seated all the way in. I torqued it to specs (25-30lbs) & put it back together. Sounded great in idle but with foot on brake & in drive noticed a rough, jumping action & also drives rough around 1800rpms. Could this mean the plug is not down completely? Btw the engine light went off after a few miles of driving as well. Ive heard of cleaning or reshaping threads with 14mm thread chaser tool will fix?? Anyone ever deal with this?

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The two rear cylinders have a tendency to collect grit into the plug wells. Did you blow the dirt out before pulling the original plug?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Sure did, cranked up the compressor & used a blow stem extension, does it sound like maybe some debris may have got down in the cylinder? There was quite a bit of grime on the old plug, sure hope not..
Thx

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible you pushed some in or it fell in. I'd suggest pulling the plug again, though #4 is a pain. Get a brass brush, I bought a cheap set at Harbor Freight. If you're worried about dropping the brush, turn the engine over so the cylinder is at TDC. Use a drill and some brake clean and clean the threads. 5595bc90e4bc2258aa2793db8bf50253.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
I actually have some of those brushes, that's a great idea, certainly won't hurt, dead center tip you mentioned is important as well..thx for your feedback & time..