Spark plugs and coil packs 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is the Coil Pack through Tasca Parts - big Ford Dealer so you don't need to be concerned about counterfeit parts. They also sell other OEM brands. I just bought some coil packs for my C6-Z06 Corvette, local dealer wanted $149, bought from them for $85.

View attachment 76287
Tasca is EXCELLENT to order from!

OP
OP
Z

zach1027

Reaction score
This 100%. If you do go with OEM, check them out of the box, because the gaps will be all over the place. Actually you should check any plug before you install it. Gap is VERY important on modern motors.
What’s the recommended gap for stock tune

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OEM plugs for the EcoBoosts from Ford are NOT good. They have actually gotten worse with the current generation.

NGK 95605 plugs are definitely what most that know the Ecoboosts are recommending. Do a search on here. There are many threads about plugs.

OEM in this case is NOT the way to go.
Hello. 24k on my 2018 Limited. Had a couple instances of “stumble“ and a little bit of a rough idle. Completely stock except for a catch can. I’m going to do a plug replacement with the Ruthenium as recommended. I was wondering why the one step colder plug NGK 95605 is recommended for a stock set up instead of the normal heat range NGK 90495. Some short trips, but 80% longer trips and 35% towing, some light and some 7000 pound towing. Very light use overall, but she was manufactured the third week of October 2018. Just days away from being a 19. Will the colder plugs keep my cam phasers, turbo wastegate, and shocks from going out? Seriously, I’ve just lost two front shocks, and replaced the battery with an interstate for some weird electrical glitches that are now solved, so she has been a good one. I feel pretty lucky so far…

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. 24k on my 2018 Limited. Had a couple instances of “stumble“ and a little bit of a rough idle. Completely stock except for a catch can. I’m going to do a plug replacement with the Ruthenium as recommended. I was wondering why the one step colder plug NGK 95605 is recommended for a stock set up instead of the normal heat range NGK 90495. Some short trips, but 80% longer trips and 35% towing, some light and some 7000 pound towing. Very light use overall, but she was manufactured the third week of October 2018. Just days away from being a 19. Will the colder plugs keep my cam phasers, turbo wastegate, and shocks from going out? Seriously, I’ve just lost two front shocks, and replaced the battery with an interstate for some weird electrical glitches that are now solved, so she has been a good one. I feel pretty lucky so far…
I've had several 3.5's and the occasional stumble and rough idle seems to be normal. Your plugs should be good for 50-70k miles. I know drilling a weep hole in the intercooler really helps with the rough idle.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello. 24k on my 2018 Limited. Had a couple instances of “stumble“ and a little bit of a rough idle. Completely stock except for a catch can. I’m going to do a plug replacement with the Ruthenium as recommended. I was wondering why the one step colder plug NGK 95605 is recommended for a stock set up instead of the normal heat range NGK 90495.
Yes, You will most like experience a smoother idle. I have done one colder in all my EcoBoosts, and even stock they idle smoother.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had several 3.5's and the occasional stumble and rough idle seems to be normal. Your plugs should be good for 50-70k miles. I know drilling a weep hole in the intercooler really helps with the rough idle.
HAHAHA! Sure, you can run the stock plugs for 50-70K, but when you pulled them, did you look at them, and check the gap? I will bet you $100 they were all over the place. Even if you don't want to replace them, pull them and regap them. But if you are pulling them, why not replace them with better, that are gapped properly.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I am going to pull the plugs, which I am, I will have new ones in hand and replace them. Also, I thought that the weep hole was rarely if ever needed on the GEN II ecoboost. It will probably be a month or two before I get to this, but I will post results.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I am going to pull the plugs, which I am, I will have new ones in hand and replace them. Also, I thought that the weep hole was rarely if ever needed on the GEN II ecoboost. It will probably be a month or two before I get to this, but I will post results.
2015-2017 Expeditions have the 1st Gen 3.5TT EcoBoost with the 6Speed 6R80 Trans. It only has Direct Injection. The 2018+(4th Gens) received the Gen2 Motor and the 10 Speed. Expedition is ALWAYS behind the F150. Check to see if you have a weep hole before you drill one, but not a bad plan either.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, when I bought it I was looking for a used 2015-ish, but the GEN II upgrades won me over. Who knew about the cam phasers, shocks, and waste gates… LOL. At least I don’t have to worry so much about carbon buildup.