Spark plugs and ignition coil problem - 2004 EB 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricepattytx

Reaction score
I have a 2004 EB 5.4L and had the spark plugs and ign. wire/coil boot set replaced at 183K miles. Now at 205K miles, I'm getting a service engine code for a misfire coil/spark plug. The guy didn't tell me the exact code. Should the plugs/coils be a problem this soon after replacement (22K miles)?

OP
OP
R

ricepattytx

Reaction score
Thanks and will do. I stopped at an auto parts store and had them read it. Went ahead and took it to the shop where I had the previous repair done. Reminded them that they had done this not long ago (~2 years). Should I push them about covering this?

Plati

Reaction score
Plugs and/or COP can be bad the minute they are installed ... or not.

2 years? I'd say they are off the hook. Thats a long time. Just my opinion.

Troubleshoot / diagnose the current problem.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks and will do. I stopped at an auto parts store and had them read it. Went ahead and took it to the shop where I had the previous repair done. Reminded them that they had done this not long ago (~2 years). Should I push them about covering this?

After 2 years ? On a 16 year old vehicle ? They'd probably tell you to take it somewhere else.

OP
OP
R

ricepattytx

Reaction score
Mr. Stricker,

Thanks for your input. That's why I wanted some experienced opinions. It just seemed that 22K miles on new plugs/coils is really short compared to the 183K on the original but I get it that it's been 2 years. We're the original owners and it's been maintained well. Would other issues cause the plugs/coils to go bad so soon? Just trying to educate myself a little more while I wait to hear from the shop.

Jeff G

Reaction score
Did you replace your COPs with OEM Motorcraft or another off brand? Some of them on Amazon for instance are known for a short life span.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a plug jiggled loose. I had a misfire on an 04 EB I had and the plug wasn’t even hand tight when I pulled the coil off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
I agree with the common advice to go OEM Ford Motorcraft on the COPS and not (as MrTrain says) Chinese junk. Plus, advice seems to be only replace when they break I think. So you can have just fine working COPS that are replaced and then break after a sometimes short time period. I think the consensus is don't just replace them as a preventive measure, wait until you have a problem and then figure out which one and replace that one. I think a lot of people feel that way. Like anythin else there are lots of opinions.

Another common problem is that T junction for radiator fluid that starts to leak on a lot of Expo's. Then you have problems with COPS below it, I think. Passenger side. If I have that right. I've never had it but heard of it.

Diagnosis and then repair of the current problem will answer.

Last edited:

heston gee

Reaction score
Did they actually change the plugs? Many time the plug is to difficult to get out, so they just leave them. I had a plug break in the cylinder, cost 6,000 to fix it, new engine.