Spark Plugs, no more BS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonsense

Reaction score
I remember doing the plugs on my '03. I think I still have some scars on my hands from that (not to mention some emotional scars from thinking I'd never get those damn plugs out). I also remember blowing a plug out while driving in the middle of Yellowstone NP, good times.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok - so nobody is going to identify the components in my pic... cool.

Where can I get a large flat pan to drain the radiator?

Jerry 2

Reaction score
There have several good ideas given on this post to make the job easier.#1 Engine cold. #2 pull the hoses out of the way and secure..#3. I used a plug wire pliers to remove coil. (some that were really stuck, required some twisting and prying.) I used a long air nozzle to blow any dirt and crud out of the plug holes . I sometimes used a Craftsman 3/8 drive sized air ratchet the size as a 1/4 ratchet but with a 3/8 mandrel. Use only arm power to break the plug loose then use air to unscrew the plug. ( Ford says do not use air power.) Check the plugs to see if there are any carbon tracks down the porcelian of the plug. I would replace all boots if there is tracking. Use dielectric grease inside the boot. Check the plug gap on all plugs, (Yes they are new but check them any way).I used a vacuum hose about 8 inchs or so long ,shove the hose over the wire end of the plug and use the hose to screw the plugs in place. If you are new at doing this job use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs.9 They can be over tightened as well as not tightened enough. I know I have already posted on this post, I just hoped I haven't led some one astray. If you had a miss before you started this repair, isolate the cylinder that's missing. Pull this coil and plug first, Check plug for trackling. Replace the plug and boot and see if it still has a miss, if it does swap a coil from a cylinder that is not missing. when re installing the coils and boots use dielectric grease on the boot where it slides into the plug hole, this will help keep water out of the plug hole.

Last edited:

DontBeJeff

Reaction score
I am about to change the gasket to the intake manifold to see if I can get rid of my lean condition once and for all. I have read that is a great time to change out the plugs/coils, being you actually have to remove everything to get to it. There is a great video available of someone showing what to do to get to the gasket.