spark plugs socket size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much Mick...really appreciate the help...i tried looking up the size and I was not able to findd a reliable source...i am trying to make a big order online..thanks again.

By the way Stamp you are correct however i have no reason to send any PM to this guy...my question as stupid as it may be was posted to either be answered or just be ignored....his silly reply and constant trolling in my posts create these issues.....i think is childish and sad for an old man to be trying to minimized people.....anyway.....thanks everybody....this is a great place to learn from members like you.

Take care

emtmark

Reaction score
Should be 5/8" like most. I suggest using a locking extension with it too, unless you wonna buy the triton sparkplug tool.

I'm picturing a extension with the locking slip collar? So the socket can't come off the end, ext -->wobble--> spark plug socket 5/8" Is that right?

Does that minimize the plug issues?

Reaction score
Yea, I picked up a locking 6" extension and just run it straight to the spark plug socket. Haven't had any issues beside running the fuel line with the extension so I loosen that as well. Done my changes that way since 2008 an haven't had any issue with ignition since. The back 2 plugs are horrible, like working on an f-body.

emtmark

Reaction score
Bad as in hard of a job, mines. 2012, but like with any vehicle I go from mild research to heavy research when it's sitting in my driveway. The minimal threads and broken plug issues are suppose to be isolated to first gen. However the more I look into it it seems that they all can go sideways, break, and getting the tool (broken plug tool) is cheap insurance for the so it yourselfer.

I've seen folks lament the passenger side rear plugs but failed to note if it was just the gen one series or if it's all 5.4's that have hard to access plug/wire/cop's.

So ize was jus axin :)). Is it as hard to change plugs on the ones as it is on the threes?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2012 doesn't have the two piece plugs. Getting to the passenger side plug isn't bad. A couple of extensions and a spark plug socket was all I used.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
..I've seen folks lament the passenger side rear plugs but failed to note if it was just the gen one series or if it's all 5.4's that have hard to access plug/wire/cop's.

So ize was jus axin :)). Is it as hard to change plugs on the ones as it is on the threes?

Guys bemoan changing plugs to hear themselves *****, esp on the web. How "bad" the job is is completely subjective. It is based on individual experience, patience, skill and available tools. If a guy has broken two piece plugs or scraped his hands bloody or stripped COP screws, he will warn others about it loud and clear.

A different guy who had an easier time will likely be less vocal.

As for me, I agree the FOMOCO design engineers deserve a kick in the nuts for a lot of Expedition woes. For some the plug changeout is one of them. I didn't think it was that "bad" a job, just overly time consuming.

With the research done the best you know how, you are ready to get to work and find out for yourself how "bad" it is.

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
the one that fits
That's not helpful. It's October 17, 2021 and I'm sill looking for the correct size plug wrench. My wife's '07 Navigator has 9/16" wrenching flats, so I thought the '03 Expedition did, too. I have the Gear Wrench set of magnetic, 5/8" sockets, but first used the 9/16" wrench. I'm working with #8 plug and it's a PITA. Basically no access to the coil bolt or the plug. Guess I'll keep searching. I'm guessing Ford went to the 9/16" wrench in '05, when they brought in VCT.