Sparkes from the AC compressor clutch area.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David E

Reaction score
Hello to all, (long post apologize in advance! Just wanted to have information out there)
My 2005 Expedition KR 5.4 (3v) Yet again is making sure no dull moments in my life.
l shall start with some background first: ACComp that came with it never worked and made grinding noise from the get go. Switched it with one from my donor car which had ac working great and no noise. After replacement of ACComp (Proper evacuation, vacuum and recharge to specs) the newer compressor never engaged. Due to necessity I jumped the wires at the low pressure switch and had the clutch engaged and AC was nice and cold for about two hours.
Then issues began:
After smelling some horrid smell coming out from the engine compartment I noticed the AC Compressor is making noise and car bogged down at stop and shut off. (that was a week ago while driving at the beach so took jumper off)
Finally I got home so I could do some more data collection to post here with as much information as possible in hopes for some help in diagnostics.
Today I gathered the below information:
Started the car and tested the pressure on low and high while the AC is off in the controls. (outside temp was 77deg and 51% humidity) I got 8-9psi/Low & 130psi/High while the clutch engaged and while not engaged was 19psi/Low & 100psi/High.
The clutch was making noise only when it was not engaged.
I turned the AC on through the inside controls and got the following readings:
Clutch engaged: (data changed as I waited longer) 19/20/21/22psi/Low & 180/195/200/205psi/High
Inside air temp while AC is on was 55deg at first and went down to 46deg later.
Turned the AC off again (inside controls) and got the following:
Clutch engaged: 9psi/Low & 150psi/High
Clutch off: 19psi/Low & 125/High
Now through all that time no funny smell no sparks seen. Just noise when the clutch is not engaged.
After taking the car for a small drive the smell started and I noticed the sparks coming from the clutch plate area and even when engaged it seems as it was not moving. (more like moving in bursts.) couldn't really tell if the belt we heating up or the whole pulley is stuck.
RPM at idle while in N was 750 and at gear went down to 550.
AC gas was filled to spec using the recommended weight on the sticker.
Hoping all this information helps with diagnostics (don't like throwing parts at it unless I have to). Right now I am conflicted if to get a clutch kit or get a whole new compressor unit. Hoping for the first!
I did get an older recovery unit and a tank for taking the compressor off the donor car. yet still not sure if I used it the right way.
If there is any more information needed please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may offer in my predicament here.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, your low side static pressure is way low, your low pressure cutout switch is trying to save the compressor and you override it? Your compressor is probably locking up and the clutch is getting fried, turning your compressor into a sausage grenade. Basically you probably trashed your whole AC system with debris and gonna need a complete flush and many new parts.

OP
OP
David E

David E

Reaction score
Well, your low side static pressure is way low, your low pressure cutout switch is trying to save the compressor and you override it? Your compressor is probably locking up and the clutch is getting fried, turning your compressor into a sausage grenade. Basically you probably trashed your whole AC system with debris and gonna need a complete flush and many new parts.
I knew I might cause some damage there (with 4 little ones in the car and 100deg outside I must say I took my chances..) If need be I can get the system redone with new parts and also flush the lines if need be. What parts you recommend to get new? (Compressor, orifice tube, dryer) Do I need new lines as well? Since I am doing the work myself this help with the costs so hoping to do it right.
Thanks for the reply.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appears that your TXV was not flowing correctly, indicated by the low suction pressure. Like stated above the low pressure switch is there to protect compressor.