SPD Downpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Kile

Reaction score
Well, I purchased the SPD Catted Downpipe from 5 Star Tuning a couple weeks ago and finally got a chance to attempt the install today. Pulled the cover off and everything looked pretty straight forward, other than trying to get the whole piece out by myself. Over an hour later and still couldn't get the first nut off of the oem downpipe at the adapter! So far very dissapointed with the kit. No instructions included, other than how to break it in once attached. No pictures, no socket sizes, no ft lb ratings for torque, absolutely nothing! Went to SPD website and the instructions they have for download don't include the 4th Gen Exp, I tried to contact via Facebook Messenger and got no reply, to be fair it is Sunday, but the weekends are when most of us are trying to install their products! I've left a message for a local auto shop that was recommended to see what they will charge to install and see if I'm going to let them do it or attempt it again. In an F-150 install they appear to loosen those nuts from up through the engine compartment, but it sure doesn't look like that's going to help. I was able to get some wobble extensions on it and hit it with my impact and it didn't budge. I switched to a breaker wrench and was coming really close to breaking the extensions and it wouldn't let go, might have to heat them up or use penetrating oil? It was just more than I expected when I started today. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them, otherwise I will update on where I go and if SPD responds.

20201227_111903.jpg

20201227_121016.jpg

20201227_121105.jpg

20201227_121123.jpg

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh man, I have my kit sitting in the garage, getting ready to do this myself, but I'm waiting till I find out of ford is going to replace my turbos. Let them dot he hard work of breaking seized nuts/bolts.

When I watched the videos of the guys doing it on an F150 (which should be nearly identical), in noticed they had to drop the cross member and support the drivetrain in order to get the stock parts out.

Actually planning on doing the turbo adapters at the same time since I will have everything apart anyways. If you get any torque specs from them, please do reply to this. As well, any advice you might have for the process. I asked the same questions on here several times over the last year and hadn't received any real responses. I've done a lot of exhaust work over the years but this looks just as bad as doing headers on a hemi.

BLUWAGN

Reaction score
Any time I'm going to do exhaust work without a Sawzall, I start spraying penetrant on the bolts about a week in advance overnight to help them loosen up and make things easier. I feel your pain!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will definitely be doing this when I undertake this. I used to do the same thing when doing header work, those things are pains to get off without screwing up the studs.

Oh, and @Brian Kile, I was actually hesitant to order these, SPD never once responded to anything I ever sent them, granted, I don't have facebook etc, but sending them emails directly never got responded to. I'm sure it's because of Covid, everything else seems to be, but it was a little annoying. But I will say, they were very quick to ship, and their products look very well done. Hoping customer service and product quality are opposites here lol.

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This tool might help if you can get it into the space. Beats waving a dangerous cutting torch , sawzall or angle grinder around inside the engine compartment.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Automotive-Nut-*******/1000595029

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This tool might help if you can get it into the space. Beats waving a dangerous cutting torch , sawzall or angle grinder around inside the engine compartment.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Automotive-Nut-*******/1000595029

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have said, exhaust is the worst because the rust seizes bolts. A professional shop should be able to get it on without to much fuss. Let us know how it goes. I was looking at this part along with Corsa and Full Race exhausts for a bit more quicker spool and more power.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have said, exhaust is the worst because the rust seizes bolts. A professional shop should be able to get it on without to much fuss. Let us know how it goes. I was looking at this part along with Corsa and Full Race exhausts for a bit more quicker spool and more power.

I think you've mentioned corsa in other posts, I reached out to them and they said they had zero plans for this thing yet. Bummer. Love their stuff.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you've mentioned corsa in other posts, I reached out to them and they said they had zero plans for this thing yet. Bummer. Love their stuff.

Yes, they make an exhaust for the Raptor. I was going to inquire whether they would sell a muffler separately and let an exhaust shop handle the remainder of the plumbing. But waiting till my warranty is up before I do anything.