Special Service Message 51116 - 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Special Service Message 51116 - 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update is coming on 07-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. In the interim, remove fuse F24 in body control module (BCM) for two minutes and reinstall, the screens should power back on. Touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn Off Wi-Fi. Customers can still use the HDMI, and USB ports to connect an external device but Amazon FireTV will not be available until the OTA update. After 07-Oct-2022, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as account is connected.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would be great if one our moderators could add the content of this thread to the "rear entertainment problems" thread. Thanks.

On a side note, I yesterday got report from one of my kids, that the RES on the right was suddenly working after weeks of not doing so ( the left was unplugged below the driver's seat several weeks ago, and I left the right plugged in even though the screen remained blank and permanently powered on, potentially draining power but never had enough power drain to be an issue). I verified the plugged in one was working (the screen on the right). Went into settings and checked for software and found I had the current software. I then reconnected the left side and when it booted up, I had it update the software to the current edition as well, using home wifi. Both screens now can be powered off and on the way they should. Netflix/amazon working fine. Turned off the car last night and both screens were off. What I have not formally checked is if the screens would turn off when the car gets parked and ignition taken out without formally powering them off on the screens themselves - the kids had already turned the screens off before I cut out the engine last night.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am open to moderator guidance on my submitting posts of Ford Service announcements by vehicle GEN or by vehicle sub-system, due to the absence of any forum dedicated to Safety Recalls, Customer Service Actions,Technical Service Bulletins, Special Service Messages, General Service Messages and OASIS Alerts.

Thus far, I have posted this information by GEN, with most involving the 4th.

Let me know what works best for the members that I am seeking to inform, and I will gladly comply.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am open to moderator guidance on my submitting posts of Ford Service announcements by vehicle GEN or by vehicle sub-system, due to the absence of any forum dedicated to Safety Recalls, Customer Service Actions,Technical Service Bulletins, Special Service Messages, General Service Messages and OASIS Alerts.

Thus far, I have posted this information by GEN, with most involving the 4th.

Let me know what works best for the members that I am seeking to inform, and I will gladly comply.
you did great and your input is most valued :smile:. Was only a suggestion to Mods, if any were looking, to combine the threads. As such RES content is together and recent input on the RES is merged with the older ones and provides searchers with more cohesive timelines on evolution of the issues with the RES

BigVette

Reaction score

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update is coming on 07-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. In the interim, remove fuse F24 in body control module (BCM) for two minutes and reinstall, the screens should power back on. Touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn Off Wi-Fi. Customers can still use the HDMI, and USB ports to connect an external device but Amazon FireTV will not be available until the OTA update. After 07-Oct-2022, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as account is connected.
Thank you for sharing! It's great to know that there is a SOTA update to fix this coming soon. In the interim, I've just been removing the negative cable on the battery for about 20 minutes or so and then reconnecting, and it seems to reset my RSE's for awhile at least.

F24 in the BCM is the 30A fuse for Moonroof logic - does that sound right? I thought about removing to 20a F32 in the BCM fuse box before as that is labeled "Audio control module. Rear seat entertainment module. Rear audio control module." but I think it may still be easier to just remove the negative cable on the battery. Looking forward to the update!

BCM fuse box.JPG

BCM fuse box F16 to F28.JPG
BCM fuse box F29 to F38.JPG

BigVette

Reaction score
Spoke with VOXX this morning; this released has been delayed and is currently being scheduled for release next Thursday, October 13th.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted on Monday about updating the RES on Sunday.
well, come Friday, the car which was not driven since Sunday is completely dead. No interior lights, running boards don't deploy, tailgate will not open
Called Ford assistance via the App - that at least worked well. I was given an estimate arrival in 60-90 minutes which was also held by the repairman. Turns out (as suspected) the battery was dead. It was restarted with a jump starter effortlessly. I let the engine run and I checked the rear entertainment system. This time, it powered out when I turned the car off. Also, after waiting about a quarter of an hour, I turned the car on and the screens turned on but since I was not using them, they both subsequently gave me a time out, then turned themselves down fully on their own, though the engine was still tunning - I was just sitting in the back seat and reading stuff online while watching how the system behaves.
Now this begs the question: is it still the RES causing power drain, or do we possibly have another source of parasitic drain when the car is powered off, which is severe enough to drain the battery in 4 days?

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted on Monday about updating the RES on Sunday.
well, come Friday, the car which was not driven since Sunday is completely dead. No interior lights, running boards don't deploy, tailgate will not open
Called Ford assistance via the App - that at least worked well. I was given an estimate arrival in 60-90 minutes which was also held by the repairman. Turns out (as suspected) the battery was dead. It was restarted with a jump starter effortlessly. I let the engine run and I checked the rear entertainment system. This time, it powered out when I turned the car off. Also, after waiting about a quarter of an hour, I turned the car on and the screens turned on but since I was not using them, they both subsequently gave me a time out, then turned themselves down fully on their own, though the engine was still tunning - I was just sitting in the back seat and reading stuff online while watching how the system behaves.
Now this begs the question: is it still the RES causing power drain, or do we possibly have another source of parasitic drain when the car is powered off, which is severe enough to drain the battery in 4 days?
This is great! We just waited 8 months for our Expedition to get built and delivered to the dealer and now it sounds like we get to deal with this issue when we get it picked up. Thanks, Ford, can’t wait!!

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
***Update*** SSM 51127, issued today on this topic, states in part:

"An over-the-air (OTA) software update is coming on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern... After 14-Oct-2022, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as account is connected."

Full text of this Special Service Message:

SSM 51127 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update is coming on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. In the interim, remove fuse F24 in body control module (BCM) for two minutes and reinstall, the screens should power back on. Touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn Off Wi-Fi. Customers can still use the HDMI, and USB ports to connect an external device but Amazon FireTV will not be available until the OTA update. After 14-Oct-2022, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as account is connected.

dgq68

Reaction score
Has anyone done this update yet? Any improvement? I was able to do it on one of the screens and the other said it was up to date but they are not both on the same versions. So odd.