Special Service Message 51116 - 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Last edited:

BigVette

Reaction score
I tried to update on Friday but it still said 2964, so I spoke with VOXX a couple of times yesterday. The update did push (at least by Monday PM it had,) and you know you have it when it reads 2973. Same Fire OS 7.2.9.1 (PS7291/2973). The VOXX tech that I talked to said the two main issues they were seeing were the units staying on when you shut the vehicle off, (which draws on your battery and will eventually prevent you from starting your vehicle,) or the unit not coming on at all when you turn the vehicle on. Something about Amazon making changes on a baseline of code that VOXX made their unit off of, and VOXX had to go back and fix these issues. The best way that I have found when you experience either of these issues (I have experienced both of them,) is to take the negative cable off your battery and let your vehicle sit without power for a good 15 to 20 minutes minimum. (Make sure your key fob is away from your vehicle and all of the power is otherwise off everything on your vehicle before you remove the negative cable on your battery.)

Why I can get my one unit on the Right to take the update but not my unit on the Left, I don't know. I tried three times reverting back to factory settings, where you are prompted to select which language you want and so on, to no avail. It says it's downloading an update, then says installing, then when it looks like it's done, it still says 2964. I restart the unit and the same story - 2964. My dealer has a whole new unit to swap out on the Left anyways because the screen was marred from before we received it, but I'm a little concerned why I can't get the current Left unit to update to 2973.

BigVette

Reaction score
Finally! After multiple attempts of updating my Left unit, I checked this morning upon startup and ¡Voila!, we're on 2973 now! Hopefully this helps others.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51243 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain -- Released December 9, 2022

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update was launched by Amazon on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. This update will not show in the Ford OTA Dashboard since the rear seat entertainment system is a stand-alone feature. For the Amazon OTA update to occur, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their Amazon account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as Amazon account is connected.

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51262 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain -- Released December 16, 2022

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update was launched by Amazon on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. This update will not show in the Ford OTA Dashboard since the rear seat entertainment system is a stand-alone feature. If the screens are frozen, remove fuse F24 in the body control module (BCM) for two minutes and reinstall, the screens should power back on. For the Amazon OTA update to occur, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their Amazon account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as Amazon account is connected.