Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Epic Dad

Reaction score
Why does my Expy go into 4WD when I go into Sport Mode? I obviously want it to stay in 2WD when going into sport. Unless it’s doing some sick AWD thing. That’s be cool. I shouldn’t have to switch it back to 2WD when going into Sport. I mean I get that it crosses over some other options that require 4WD but it should know better. Thanks!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you are in Auto 4wd you are only still only using the rear 2 wheels.. when a rear wheel starts to loose traction the front wheels will engage automatically thus the "auto" 4wd. If im not mistaken..?

Plus, Full time AWD vehicle take off better and have better traction.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why does my Expy go into 4WD when I go into Sport Mode? I obviously want it to stay in 2WD when going into sport. Unless it’s doing some sick AWD thing. That’s be cool. I shouldn’t have to switch it back to 2WD when going into Sport. I mean I get that it crosses over some other options that require 4WD but it should know better. Thanks!

Sport mode engages 4wd-auto to help avoid and prevent wheel spin.
In my truck I can light up the rear tires in sport, which is exactly the opposite thing you want to do.
You can choose to select 2wd, but there is no benefit, as the truck will distribute power automatically. at take-off it will transfer a portion to the front to avoid wheel spin, it always remains biased to the rear.

When you are in Auto 4wd you are only still only using the rear 2 wheels.. when a rear wheel starts to loose traction the front wheels will engage automatically thus the "auto" 4wd. If im not mistaken..?

The system is smart enough to transfer power before it loses traction in sport mode (and other modes). It biases the power distribution to the rear but will send power simultaneously to front and rear at throttle tip-in. it will be more aggressive with power transfer if traction is lost.

Tripoli

Reaction score
Turn on the power distribution view when you're in Sport mode. You'll see it actually is putting power to the front wheels, even when the rears are moving at the same speed on dry pavement. I haven't tried going back to 2WD, but I bet this sucker will break the rear tires loose with very little effort. My SPP in Sport mode is a beast off the line!

Avee8tor

Reaction score
What am I missing here? Was reading through the manual and it says I can select S 2x4 or S 4x4. Granted mine is still on a railcar somewhere but would like to know the difference for when it arrives. TYIA.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What am I missing here? Was reading through the manual and it says I can select S 2x4 or S 4x4. Granted mine is still on a railcar somewhere but would like to know the difference for when it arrives. TYIA.
Sport mode is available in both 4x2 and 4x4 trims.
If you own a 4x4 you can select sport. Then choose 2H. Or leave it as is and sport will automatically activate 4A