Squeaky wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhbmedic

Reaction score
I have a 2000 4x4 XLT. Just replaced the front ball joints. Now I hear a constant squeak coming from what I think is the front wheel.

It doesn't happen when cold, not until I've been driving about 20 minutes or so. The squeak is constant when the wheel rolls - no changes when turning, braking, or in 4WD. Pitch goes up when increasing speed, down when decreasing speed.

Could it be CV joints or wheel bearings? Or something else?

Any help is appreciated.

TallCowboy

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this was ever resolved.

I just bought a 2014 Expedition EL XLT with 116K miles on it, and the front right wheel is also squeaking.

I have an appointment with the dealer, but they told me the first time they looked at it that it was "not reproducable".

It sounds like a "rubber" squeak to me, like when a rubber sleeve is turned around a steel rod or something. I'm used to bearings "ticking" when they go bad, this is a squeak. It is affected by speed, it's like once every rotation of the wheel, so it speeds up and slows down with speed.

It's not always there, but it usually is, and I notice it more on my way home - I pass a gauntlet of cars parked on a narrow street on my way back to the house, so Inslow down and hear it as it "bounces" off the cars parked there. I hardly/never notice it on my way out, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
I'm inclined to believe, as the OP, that it is related to heat/use.

Thoughts?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this was ever resolved.

I just bought a 2014 Expedition EL XLT with 116K miles on it, and the front right wheel is also squeaking.

I have an appointment with the dealer, but they told me the first time they looked at it that it was "not reproducable".

It sounds like a "rubber" squeak to me, like when a rubber sleeve is turned around a steel rod or something. I'm used to bearings "ticking" when they go bad, this is a squeak. It is affected by speed, it's like once every rotation of the wheel, so it speeds up and slows down with speed.

It's not always there, but it usually is, and I notice it more on my way home - I pass a gauntlet of cars parked on a narrow street on my way back to the house, so Inslow down and hear it as it "bounces" off the cars parked there. I hardly/never notice it on my way out, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
I'm inclined to believe, as the OP, that it is related to heat/use.

Thoughts?
Check the IWE(4x4 vacuum hub)

TallCowboy

Reaction score
Thank you for the response! I appreciate it.
In my case, it turned out to be the wheel bearings.
I thought it might be, but have not heard squeaking like it was doing because if bad bearings before...usually it's a 'tick' sound, and more when turning.

This was a clear "squeak", and was once per revolution of the wheel. Seems odd to me, but whe the rotor resurfacing did not work (shit, I could told him that was not it, dammit), the warranty mechanic decided it was the bearing, replaced it (on that side only, other dammit, I always replace bearings in pairs) that fixed the squeak.

Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to reply!