Standard vs Max sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigb72

Reaction score
I hope all is well. I just wanted to get a little input on this. Purchased a 2022 platinum max in October. Pretty excited and have learned so much from this forum. One issue I noticed right away was my driver's door was not installed correctly—a huge gap when it is closed. The dealer agreed this needed to be fixed, and they agreed to fix it. They set me up with a brand new expedition to use while they are fixing this.

Driving the new 22 standard size expedition xlt it seems so much smoother. Feels faster and shifts better. Maybe I am over thinking it but I Feel my platinum doesn’t shift or is a peepy. My platinum is a max and has the towing package.I don’t believe the xlt has the towing. Sometimes sitting in the morning my max def feel a vibration in the morning. Flat spots not sure. Already put 2k miles on it. But just doesn’t seem so smooth.

Any thoughts let me know. Just surprised driving the xlt how smooth it was Compared to my max.

Build date on my max is 9/22

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The trans has a learning curve and is always adjusting. Some people say it took a few thousand miles till it started feeling the way they wanted it. Also make sure your tires are correct psi. Mine were off by 18 psi from the dealer.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope all is well. I just wanted to get a little input on this. Purchased a 2022 platinum max in October. Pretty excited and have learned so much from this forum. One issue I noticed right away was my driver's door was not installed correctly—a huge gap when it is closed. The dealer agreed this needed to be fixed, and they agreed to fix it. They set me up with a brand new expedition to use while they are fixing this.

Driving the new 22 standard size expedition xlt it seems so much smoother. Feels faster and shifts better. Maybe I am over thinking it but I Feel my platinum doesn’t shift or is a peepy. My platinum is a max and has the towing package.I don’t believe the xlt has the towing. Sometimes sitting in the morning my max def feel a vibration in the morning. Flat spots not sure. Already put 2k miles on it. But just doesn’t seem so smooth.

Any thoughts let me know. Just surprised driving the xlt how smooth it was Compared to my max.

Build date on my max is 9/22
The tranny will continue to learn and that might be why yours is still learning. Did you check your tire pressure? If so, your Platinum most likely has larger rims than the XLT which means it'll ride a little harsher.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dnt think that's right thats right about the suspension. I didnt feel the op was talking about ride smoothness, just powertrain smoothness, but if he was, id like to know more. The platinum has ccd and that drastically improves the ride over the base suspension, regardless of tire. Many people on this very forum complained about their xlts riding harsh. Every max i drove felt more bouyant in the back than the comparable swb versions. But the 22 kr ranch I tested was a max and it was one of the smoother riding trucks I've ever been in, no harshness at all, but it was 2wd. I have not driven an xlt 22 as I'm not Interested in an expy without the ccd, but though improved, I can't fathom the ride being that much better than the pre refresh on base suspenders. As for powertrain smoothness, I'm sure the tranny needs to.learn and adapt to your habits. If the loaner was driven more than 5k miles, the engine was essentially broken in.

OP
OP
B

bigb72

Reaction score
Great input on this. Appreciate the feedback. The XLT only had 20miles on it brand new. The XLT from a suspension standpoint rides a lot harder and is not as a smooth ride. The xlt is the standard and you can feel the bumps Forsure. My platinum just does not feel like it shifts and takes off as this one does. Not sure if this one has the tow but didnt think that would make a big difference.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish you could get the Limited Stealth Performance Package in 20in wheels instead of 22in.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I switch to my 18" winter wheels from the 22" summers that came with my '19 expedition platinum, I get a noticeable increase in "peppiness" because of the lighter wheels and smoothness in the ride because the higher sidewall of the tire makes the potholes less noticeable. That could be the whole difference you're feeling.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357