Starkman's Expedition - Big Red Elephant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Starkman

Reaction score
After driving an Explorer for many years but it's finally used up at 205K miles. Also needed more room. I've always thought Expeditions are a great deal. And after talking a few times and watching ExplorerTom's build I started looking. Found! Very pampered always Colorado (absolutely no rust) 2000 Eddie with 105,000 miles. I was amazed at its condition. $3900 and it was mine.The mods have already begun.

Goal;
Just like my Explorer, give it more off road ability and enjoy camping and exploring. The mods have already begun!

Link to Explorer build
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/starkmans-explorer-build-thread.391609/

Stock
IMG_1152-M.jpg

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
First thing is to get rid of the air ride.

Of to the Pull and Save. After running back to the house to get my sawsall, torsion bars. Much thicker than air ride bars.
IMG_1164-M.jpg

Rock Auto supplied the Bilsteins and rear springs and isolaters
IMG_1163-M.jpg

Turns out air ride frames are different than non air. Exactly 4", should have read more on this forum. Sourced some 4" lift Rancho RS5000s from Napa and installed.
IMG_1166-M.jpg

The Ranchos suck, bounces like the worn out air ride shocks. I'll get back to that later.

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
After a days work it sits like a stock XLT, :p

Ordered Supreme Suspension rear spacers. But in the meantime a visit to Discount Tire and a new set of 35" tires and a little trimming...
IMG_1177-M.jpg

Got the E rated 315/70-17 BF Goodrich AT2s. The transformation is unbelievable!

Just removed the stock mud flaps trimmed a little.
IMG_1175-M.jpg

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
Denver is too hot!! I'm heading for the hills.

Colorado is the best place to live. 45 minutes and we are on dirt.

Stopped to test tire clearance. I was spotting as my dog drove.

Front is not completely stuffed with the swaybar connected.
image2-M.jpg

Stuff, just touches the flare in front.
image1-M.jpg

Slept in the back, put a full sized mattress in there with room to spare. Woke up at 4:30 to wheel up to 13,000 feet to watch the sun rise.
IMG_3617-M.jpg

Not your normal soccer Mom parking lot.
IMG_1189-M.jpg

IMG_3628-M.jpg

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome! What trail was that?

Really good looking- very well proportioned. I’m not sure if I can do 35s and still park in the garage (one of my requirements). It’s pretty close now with my 33s.

What gears does it have?

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
That's above Georgetown above the old Waldorf site, I think that's called Argentine pass.

Stock gears now but started to talk to SFF about maybe 4:10s. I think I'm going to spend the money and get Trutracs front and rear.

What do you think about that ratio? If you take the 35" tires and divide by stock tire 31" you get 1.129, so 3.55 ratio times 1.129 you get 4.007. So 4.10s are closest.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I've even been considering 4.10s on mine with 33s. My Explorer has 4.56 and is a go kart around town, but on the highway it does spin a little fast. Too fast for my Expedition that spends a lot of time on the interstate.

Is 4.30 available for both diffs? That way it's a slight "upgrade" as well.

Also been thinking about a Truetrac. I'd only go rear in mine though.

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
4.30 would be a good ratio, need to do some research. Turns out I have a mini-spool for a 28 spline 8.8. I found a Youtube where a guy appears to use a vacuum disconnect F150 diff and adds a mini spool and disconnects the axle to allow it to act as an open diff. Even though it puts power to the opposite axle from the disconnected axle all the time.

Issues I see;
One axle being connected all the time
*In 4 high on the highway in snow i'm guessing it will handle weird as it won't differentiate and pull to that side during varing traction
*With the axle disconnect off road all the power will go to one axle, no less strong than lifting a wheel with both wheels locked
Must add an aftermarket cable disconnect or make something