Starkman's Expedition - Big Red Elephant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
Thanks!

Had to test her out this weekend. I hadn't been on Jenny Creek trail near Rollinsville CO for a long time. The weather turned wet which added to the challenge. I am very happy with the off road performance. The below picture is the only obstacle that I had to get out and get a better look. O by the way, I had my girlfriend, three kids and the dog on board. Kind of funny looking in the mirror and seeing the two youngest kids in the third row seat bouncing around.

Me making a plan
IMG_6148-M.jpg

Really nice stop for lunch
IMG_6177-M.jpg

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
Today I repaired the seat heater. Lots of videos on Youtube for tutorials. checked continuity and found lower cushion element bad. Ordered one up from Rock Auto and came in a few days.

Lots of work to get the seat apart but finally got to the element.

No doubt where the problem was.
FFAB9910-59B6-403C-BCC5-D7BED5069939-M.jpg
Put new one in and reassembled. My advise is to buy hog ring pliers, I did and it took only seconds to reattach the cover to the foam. AND, be very careful of sharp edges, I skinned my thumb pushing wires back through the metal frame.

It works! I love seat heaters.

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
Update, transmission shelled the overdrive snap ring. Had it rebuilt by a local shop and they did a few things to my it last. Redesigned snap ring and shift improver kit.

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
Finished my rock slider project. The hammer finish gold paint didn't match the Eddie Bauer gold. I'll be painting black as soon as the weather is warmer.

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seat heaters: that's on my list of to-do. The hog rings scare me a little bit though. I just don't have any experience with them.

What transmission shop did you use? I've got 241k miles and I've got a "bump" when I get on the gas occasionally. And really I'm not sure if it's transmission, rear end, motor mounts.....

Glad to see you've still got Big Red.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom, buy yourself a good pair of hog ring pliers and go for it. With all the stuff you've done, seats are a walk in the Rockies for you. It's been a few years for me, but going at a seat is no biggie. Push to shove, have your local upholstery shop finish the job. Reading up over the years what you've accomplished, this ones easy.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

highlandre

Reaction score
Seat heaters: that's on my list of to-do. The hog rings scare me a little bit though. I just don't have any experience with them.

What transmission shop did you use? I've got 241k miles and I've got a "bump" when I get on the gas occasionally. And really I'm not sure if it's transmission, rear end, motor mounts.....

Glad to see you've still got Big Red.

While a ways from you but Brian'shttp://www.brianstruckshop.com/ place is supposed to be THE place to get tranny's rebuilt. I'd planned on taking mine there when the time comes. I've only 111k on my EB so hopefully I have a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk