Starkman's Expedition - Big Red Elephant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
Cliff's Transmission is the place I took it. I have lots of experience with them at my last job. They always do as the say the did.

I bought a set of hog ring pliers (from NAPA) and it made it easy, other than having to take the seat completely apart to get to the heating pad.

Don't tell anyone but I used a Harbor Freight bender on black pipe. That pipe isn't the strongest but the square tubing will do most of the work if it touches rocks. I was just going to use square tubing but girlfriend needs a step to get in.

Tom, sorry to got grumpy but having the trans go bad so soon after getting it was heart breaking considering how repair free my Explorer was. I really like it and it does the job I need it to. On to the bumpers, I have a hidden winch mount and will make a similar bumper that I built for the Explorer.

Stepcajun

Reaction score
What gear ratio are you going with,
Locker back & limited slip front?

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
I went with 4.56 ratio, after driving it now I’m really glad I went with that ratio. I pull my camper and drive it daily so having all the acceleration back is great. True-Tracs front and rear, they work well off-road with special driving technics like applying the brakes to keep the diffs locked when a wheel lifts off the ground make them a good choice on a daily driver and they are cheaper than air lockers.

Stepcajun

Reaction score
Thanks,
I'm thinking of 4.88s with locker in back.
Looks like some nice trails there,
A trip thru your area is on my list of road trips.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Starkman, nice expy. I had a few questions about your lockers and gears, I have 33’s now, but in the future will be replacing with 35-38. I also pull a trailer and kinda daily drive. The Eaton’s you purchased don’t come with gears too, correct?? If not, what did you purchase? How do they work? Also what size tires do you run?

OP
OP
Starkman

Starkman

Reaction score
As I said above, 4.56 gears and I run 315/70-17 BFG ATs that are 34.5” diameter. They work great. 4.56 over geared, meaning with that tire size the speedometer shows a higher speed than I’m actually going. That ratio helps compensate for the bigger heavier tires.

Last edited: