1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start up

Discussion in '2nd Gen - 2003 - 2006' started by Ice Man 62, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Ice Man 62

Ice Man 62 Member

Ok, I have a second gen expedition with the 4.9 ltr. The problem is that on start up the fast idol will almost reach 2x rpms sometimes and remain there for almost 1minute. The other problem is the heater. Temp gauge reads normal but the air doesn't seem to get hot enough. Thermostat?. Where do I start. Thanks.

2. riphip

riphip Full Access Members

Probably the inline heater valve over the left (P side) valve cover. May also be a leaking/bad vacuum line in same area. You can check rockauto.com for lines. Replaced all of my vac lines & that valve right after I purchased my 2004 EB. No problems since

Ice Man 62 likes this.
  3. Hamfisted

Hamfisted Full Access Members

Thermostat might be a good place to start. Especially if it's the original one still in there. I'm currently using one of the Motorad High Flow 180 thermostats from Rock Auto and it performs very well ( you will need a new gasket...). Also if you have an infrared heat temp gun see what temperatures you're getting before and after of the hot water valve there in the heater hoses that feed the heater core in the dash.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...id=1603938055&sprefix=infrared,aps,244&sr=8-9

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog....4l+v8,1411119,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

Ice Man 62 likes this.
  4. Yupster Dog

Yupster Dog Full Access Members

Did you replace the radiator recently?

5. Ice Man 62

Ice Man 62 Member

No, it's been like this since I bought it. So about 3 years.