Starter solenoid/relay location 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume the solenoid under the battery tray looks the same/similar to the one on the starter then? I found this pic on Advance Auto Parts... Is this right? Its under the battery tray?

What do I check and which terminals on this do I check? I assume that there is a low amp positive in for control/switch voltage, a high amp positive in and high amp positive out. Whats the 4th terminal, a Ground?

18970446_cbw_s5049_pri_larg.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If memory serves large terminal from battery to large one to starter, should have continuity between terminals. S terminal is from ignition switch, and I goes to coil circuit. That's the way they used to, with coil on plug last one might be different. Theirs procedures to test it with a volt/ohm meter. Let us know what got stuck open. Ford solenoids rarely fail, they crack, which usually is why people replace, yours sounds like one got stuck open.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would guess that it is the one thats under the battery, and not the starter itself... Since my Expy was sitting and didnt drive it for about 18 hours. It was raining too(still is). I dont know how the starter would get wet when sitting, but can understand how it could under the battery tray. Although, as you can tell over the past few weeks mine has had a SERIOUS curse on it! I am sick of working on it!

I will keep you posted what it is...

Does the Solenoid under the battery look the same as the one on the starter?(I know they used to)

Plati

Reaction score
In which case you go to a different parts store. Red electrical tape works too.
I was a "power systems engineer" for a computer company in the 80's. Computer Consoles Inc (CCI) in Rochester NY. We invented phone company automated Directory Assistance and computerized audio voice response systems. Some engineers came from local companies like Ashley Audio because they had signal processing expertise. Coolest company you never heard of!

Anyway, I used 1/0 welding cable from the DC power supply to the backplane. Lots of RAM/current. It only came in black so I put RED shrink tube on it. Lincoln Electric came in and photographed it for their marketing materials.

Plati

Reaction score
I always wondered why 2 solenoids myself. It's not as if these motors are super high compression or horsepower. Maybe one of the others could elaborate why, I'm curious myself. I'm guessing one of the solenoids is stuck open, that's why the light smack, rubber mallet would be best. One of the plungers might be stuck!

2 solenoids? Maybe the first one is used to make the (high current) electrical connection from the battery to the starter and the second one (on the starter) is used to push & retract the gear the starter motor uses to drive the engine during starting?

https://sciencing.com/a-solenoid-work-4567178.html

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I've got an answer for you guys why we have 2 solenoids for the starter. The one on the fender is more of a relay to cut down on the current the ignition switch has to deal with, the one on the starter works like a Gm starter to engage the gear to the flywheel. At least that's what I read!

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got it fixed, and cost me nothing but me screwing up! Somehow, when I put the other engine back in it, I must of tightened the starter wire to close to the Solenoid wire which tells the starter to engage. Hence, then it was engaging and turning constantly... I pulled the wire off, and noticed that the shrink tubing had a small hole in it and was arching on the contact for the engaging part of the starter. I re shrink wrapped it, and also installed a brass washer on the back side so it cant happen again. Now it has plenty of clearance, and is rotated far enough away from it too.

Then noticed that somehow the new engines EGR Controller was melted partially so I replaced it. All in a days work! Thank you everyone for all your help though!