Startup rattle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the front end rebuild last July with all OEM parts and all went well. Now I’m hearing a very brief startup rattle after the truck hasn‘t been started for a couple of days. Also using a Motorcraft oil filter, running 5W30, and have a donut installed for the aftermarket oil pressure gauge sender.

Questions:

1. Is this normal, especially since I don’t drive it every day?
2. Would the donut cause the anti-backflow valve in the oil filter to not function correctly and keep oil in the heads?
3. Should I start thinking about opening the front end up again and checking/replacing the tensioners again?

Obviously 1 or 2 would be better, but I’ll tackle 3 if needed so the truck lasts as long as possible.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump for thoughts on this. Just ordered the Melling steel tensioners and cover gaskets to do the teardown before heading to Florida in June.

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ I second the gas pedal trick. I do that anyway if my truck has been sitting.

That being said, a rattle noise means the timing chain is slapping around and no, it's not normal. You might be able to mask the issue by holding the gas pedal for a few seconds while starting it or using different oil, but it does indicate there is an issue that should be addressed soon.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ I second the gas pedal trick. I do that anyway if my truck has been sitting.

That being said, a rattle noise means the timing chain is slapping around and no, it's not normal. You might be able to mask the issue by holding the gas pedal for a few seconds while starting it or using different oil, but it does indicate there is an issue that should be addressed soon.
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too, hence why I ordered the Melling steel tensioners. Really annoyed this is back less than a year after doing the full timing job with all OEM parts.

Last edited:

WheelieNooch

Reaction score
I went through this also but with 1 year on on the melling tensioners before finally having to go back in (Cam codes came with after the cold start rattle eventually). I went with the melling ratcheting steel tensioners this time. It wasn't much more in cost and when I pulled off my plastic melling tensioners both had blown out the seal.