Stealth Edition grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Linder

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Another black out alternative you might consider is Plasti Dip. Sold in several forms, for this application, as a hobbyist, working on a few parts (grille, moldings, nameplate, etc.) their rattle cans are what you want. Readily available at lots of places, including Home Depot. You can get it in black and a couple of others, red and white, as I remember.

Takes several thin coats to do the job. Leaves you with a rubber like surface resistant to stone chips. Easy to touch up or refresh with another coat. Quick and inexpensive it can be pealed off when you want to go back to bright.

Easiest, best coverage, requires part removal from the vehicle although it is not impossible to apply in place.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the headlight buckets are painted black too. I'd imagine that would be expensive

Yeah the housings are black inside. I wonder how the regular headlights would look against the stealth grill?

Gentlemen, Another black out alternative you might consider is Plasti Dip. Sold in several forms, for this application, as a hobbyist, working on a few parts (grille, moldings, nameplate, etc.) their rattle cans are what you want. Readily available at lots of places, including Home Depot. You can get it in black and a couple of others, red and white, as I remember.

Takes several thin coats to do the job. Leaves you with a rubber like surface resistant to stone chips. Easy to touch up or refresh with another coat. Quick and inexpensive it can be pealed off when you want to go back to bright.

Easiest, best coverage, requires part removal from the vehicle although it is not impossible to apply in place.

I agree, plastidip is easy and quite forgiving. I've blacked out the Chevy emblem on my past 2 or 3 work vehicles as the gold isn't my favorite.

I've found that doing a few coats of their glossifier adds just enough sheen that it looks almost like the black plastic emblem from the factory. Pulls off perfectly when it's time to get a new vehicle.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What may look good is to paint the silver painted parts of the grill black. I think that would be a good look.

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What may look good is to paint the silver painted parts of the grill black. I think that would be a good look.

I was in process of plastic-dipping all the trim black. However my friend turned me onto the SEM trim paint, which I will be doing once all this peels off.

But blacking out all the silver looks better, at least in my opinion.

106F8CCC-C11F-4B2D-A59D-AF7E59143FDD.jpeg

4F03D0E7-7141-4C75-A6A4-4BE1DF7A3816.jpeg

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I was in process of plastic-dipping all the trim black. However my friend turned me onto the SEM trim paint, which I will be doing once all this peels off.

But blacking out all the silver looks better, at least in my opinion.

rodman2185

Reaction score
Hasn't been any posts on this thread for awhile, but to answer post #6 question the Ford part number for the Stealth Edition "Expedition" hood badging is KL1Z5842528-AA and retails from my Ford dealer for $98.23 + tax. A google search on that number get them online for about $65. Both prices are a bit better than the EBay offer for $147.