Steel bumpers for 1st&2nd Gen from WAM Bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add... about 50% down when I placed the order and the balance due at shipping. I went with the bed liner finish but am considering going with primer and painting to match the gold of the EB trim. I've seen a couple of photos of trucks with painted bumpers and they look kind of cool. I'll have to try a little photo editing to get a feel for what things would look like. Or maybe I'm just suffering from truck envy.

fa08121405.jpgF143868188.jpg

OP
OP
HolidayJones

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In looking at a close up of the few gen 2's with the steel bumpers, it looks like the bumper assembly gets cut along the red line... hard to tell though, there could be more of the white under the bumper.

View attachment 19193
I know the Expy is a solid front piece so you'd more than likely have to cut it. My grill is separate so all I had to do was remove the plastic bumper, and cut the sub bumper out. And it uses 6x bolts, 3x a side. The first two are the tow hook holes, the last is about 12" inside the sub frame rail, and they use 1/4" steel for the mounting hardware and connections in the bumper. Super solid. This Jeep, which I'm purchasing next weekend, has had his on for quite some time, even took it to Moab with an issue. Super solid. Second pic is the one I have now that I'm selling once I but the black on, and the other two pics are friends with same brand bumper. The white one got in accident with his, and didn't damage the bumper it's self at all 26ec22eb4503b8771633ae89e040d127.jpg c5f071796b982c511e0d8492408ae8f5.jpg40fa6cc3686865cedb7107430dd34ce7.jpge3f00327b5158153729dabc1af59c338.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very nice! The one you're selling looks a lot like the one you're buying! Good looking bumpers. Looks like you've got a fun circle of off roading friends! I think that would be a blast... get out into the wilderness. My neighbor's son has a Tahoe that he's turned into an off road machine. Has a really cool roof top tent! It's like being up in a tree house! Very cool.

I spoke with Natalie from WAM again today to change my bumper... decided not to go with two sets of lights... I thought the single looks better. I also told her I might end up changing the finish coat to just a primer so that I could have it painted. I see your one friend painted his bumper to match the trim. It's a different look. Black is cool too though so I'm still on the fence.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried some rough mock ups... not my exact Expy but close (wheels are different)...

1. Current
  2. Tires and lift/level
  3. Black bumper
  4. Painted bumper (difference is subtle but in real life would be more dramatic)
What do you think? Painted or stay black?

Expy 1.JPG Expy 2.JPG Expy 3.JPG Expy 4.JPG

OP
OP
HolidayJones

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried some rough mock ups... not my exact Expy but close (wheels are different)...

1. Current
  2. Tires and lift/level
  3. Black bumper
  4. Painted bumper (difference is subtle but in real life would be more dramatic)
What do you think? Painted or stay black?

View attachment 19198 View attachment 19199 View attachment 19200 View attachment 19201
I think painted would look pro. And the one I'm buying is pretty much the same Jeep. Lol 2006 Hemi with QDII 4wD but his has a 6" modified superlift. Mine is only has a basic 4". The pic I sent was before he lifted it. This is it now. a26f9507add16e636e9d701b8b724124.jpg

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh... nice! That doesn't look like Florida though :). Looks like some place in Arizona or New Mexico. Where is that?

Made a last minute change to the bumper... I thought I liked having two sets of lights on the bumper but the more I looked at it the more I liked a single light so got hold of Natalie and asked to make the change. She was so amazingly helpful! Turns out she had already ordered the lights but since they hadn't shipped yet, she called and cancelled one set. Awesome customer service from her! The only thing I'm still on the fence on is finish... just primer or the bed liner.

Been looking for new shocks/struts because I'm overdue (200K miles) and thought I'd replace them while I have things out to mount the lift. I'd like to do the springs while I'm at it because I don't think she sits at the original height anymore. Going with the coil/shock assembly seems like the easiest approach so I'm considering KYB. Not quick sure yet.

For tires, I have a set of chrome 22's that I bought a couple of years ago on Craigslist, was time to get new tires. Had 305/40R22 Proxes (turned out I needed two new ones). I like them but they're probably 2" more wheel than I really wanted. Ended up putting Toyo Open Country ATs on a set of 18" wheels off of a Navigator. But now I'm considering staying with the 22's and putting 33" or 35" AT or MT's on them... OR... sell that set and put the money towards 18 or 20" wheels and new tires.

We'll see where things go. This all started this past winter. had a foot of snow and it took me about 20 minutes and repeated attempts at working my way up my hill to get out of my neighborhood. Finally made it up after completely turning off the traction control (push and hold). Then she drove right out! But not sure if it was the turning off of the traction control or just that final attempt. But after that I started thinking locker (hate the idea of having a 4x4 and not really having 4 wheel drive) and then bigger tires on black wheels but the black wheels don't look so great on a white Expedition... but with that cool bumper... looks way cool. And here I am... taking the last step first (new bumper).

Last edited:
OP
OP
HolidayJones

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh... nice! That doesn't look like Florida though :). Looks like some place in Arizona or New Mexico. Where is that?

Made a last minute change to the bumper... I thought I liked having two sets of lights on the bumper but the more I looked at it the more I liked a single light so got hold of Natalie and asked to make the change. She was so amazingly helpful! Turns out she had already ordered the lights but since they hadn't shipped yet, she called and cancelled one set. Awesome customer service from her! The only thing I'm still on the fence on is finish... just primer or the bed liner.

Been looking for new shocks/struts because I'm overdue (200K miles) and thought I'd replace them while I have things out to mount the lift. I'd like to do the springs while I'm at it because I don't think she sits at the original height anymore. Going with the coil/shock assembly seems like the easiest approach so I'm considering KYB. Not quick sure yet.

For tires, I have a set of chrome 22's that I bought a couple of years ago on Craigslist, was time to get new tires. Had 305/40R22 Proxes (turned out I needed two new ones). I like them but they're probably 2" more wheel than I really wanted. Ended up putting Toyo Open Country ATs on a set of 18" wheels off of a Navigator. But now I'm considering staying with the 22's and putting 33" or 35" AT or MT's on them... OR... sell that set and put the money towards 18 or 20" wheels and new tires.

We'll see where things go. This all started this past winter. had a foot of snow and it took me about 20 minutes and repeated attempts at working my way up my hill to get out of my neighborhood. Finally made it up after completely turning off the traction control (push and hold). Then she drove right out! But not sure if it was the turning off of the traction control or just that final attempt. But after that I started thinking locker (hate the idea of having a 4x4 and not really having 4 wheel drive) and then bigger tires on black wheels but the black wheels don't look so great on a white Expedition... but with that cool bumper... looks way cool. And here I am... taking the last step first (new bumper).
Yeah that pic was when he took it to Moab last year. Just FYI the bumpers are about 120 lbs, and then the added weight of the winch, so some stiff springs and shocks up front would be prime. You save some weight by using synthetic line instead of steel cable. Also, winch has to be installed on the bumper before the bumper is installed on the vehicle, at least all that read true for the Jeep. I ended up installing an additional 3/8" spacer on top of my spring/strut lift combo. And turning traction control off usually helps

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering about the extra weight up front. I'll have to do some snooping around and see if anyone has beefed up their front springs. Seems like there isn't much out there for the Expeditions... evidently not the off roading vehicle of choice. Thanks for the advice!

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not finding anything in the way of stiffer springs for the Expedition. I may just have to see how it ends up affecting driveability and how/if it sags over time. Will keep looking.

OP
OP
HolidayJones

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not finding anything in the way of stiffer springs for the Expedition. I may just have to see how it ends up affecting driveability and how/if it sags over time. Will keep looking.
Yeah there isn't any real support for the expedition, contrary to it's name. Lol but with the front end, I may be wrong, but F 150 stiff should work, and there's definitely options for those.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni