Steel Spare Tire Rim Rust thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tecco

Reaction score
For years ( since 2013) I have been dropping the spare every 6 months, airing it up, touching up the rust on the rim. Now after 8 years, it has just gotten too bad. Bought a replacement rim and new tire. Going forward, to try and prevent the same in the future, I was thinking of coating the upper rim ( portion against the body) with "Fluid Film" and then covering with a tire cover.

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these ideas? Thought that the cover might trap moisture in but the rim is a bowl anyway and fills up with water and salt ( I live in the snow belt)

Do you put the cover on the top? or around the bottom?

No perfect answer. Just looking to see if anyone has any experience/ suggestions out there.

Thanks

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For years ( since 2013) I have been dropping the spare every 6 months, airing it up, touching up the rust on the rim. Now after 8 years it has just gotten too bad. Bouht a replacement rim and new tire. Gong forward, to try and prevent the same in the future, I was thinking of coating the upper rim ( portion against the body with "Fluid Film" and then covering with a tire cover.

Does anyone have experience with either or both these ideas? Thoughts that the cover might trap moisture in but the rim is a bowl anyway and fills up with water and salt ( I live in the snow belt)

Do you put the cover on the top? or around the bottom

No real perfect answer just looking to see if anyone has any experience/ suggestions out there.

Thanks

I’ve had the same problem and issue with my 2015.

I also do not like that the full-size spare was designed to be stored underneath, with the valve stem pointed up (requiring the spare to be lowered to check and/or add air).

No ideas or suggestions on how to improve the design.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My 2000 lost its spare on Interstate 78. Might still be there. The foot on the cable rotted out. Can't imagine there's a sure way to preserve this stuff; just inspect it every now and then...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Tom. Just go to a salvage yard and get an aluminum wheel and tire combo. Spray the cable end with some CRC HD Corrosion Inhibitor to protect it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Take a good look at that cable, the end that lifts the tire and the mechanism. That rots out too and that's what left my spare somewhere in Pennsylvania.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I have a separate cable to secure my spare once in place. Replaced winch cable with SS, whole winch assembly was heavily coated with dry lube protective coating including the piece that holds the tire. I also went with an aluminum rim coated well with corrosion preventative film. When I have to fix something on my '98 I try to make it the last time!

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I flipped the tires over on all my vehicles that have them with the inflation valve down and to the rear for easy pressure checking. As for rusting...WD40 and Fluid Film.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze