Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbtech

Reaction score
I have a recently purchased 2022 Platinum with 22 inch wheels with the same concern you are having with speeds between 72-77 mph. Dealer replaced my rear driveshaft(they found a weight missing)that took care of some of the issue. I even replaced the General tires @9k with new Michelins which did improved the overall ride but I feel a harmonic vibration in the pedals, steering wheel and front floorboard. i’m done trying to let the dealer fix it I’m going to put it up on the rack and take a look myself at the exhaust and it mounts, Keep me posted and I will let you know what I find as well.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a recently purchased 2022 Platinum with 22 inch wheels with the same concern you are having with speeds between 72-77 mph. Dealer replaced my rear driveshaft(they found a weight missing)that took care of some of the issue. I even replaced the General tires @9k with new Michelins which did improved the overall ride but I feel a harmonic vibration in the pedals, steering wheel and front floorboard. i’m done trying to let the dealer fix it I’m going to put it up on the rack and take a look myself at the exhaust and it mounts, Keep me posted and I will let you know what I find as well.
Do you get the vibration in when in 2H? I find I can feel a vibration when in 4A in the front through the floorboard and it goes away in 2H

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So many factors can cause vibration at high speeds. You have the obvious alignment and faulty tires. Then you have driveshaft balance, harmonic balancers, bearings, brake rotors and pad resistance, transmission, rear and front axle, axle and shaft joints, etc. Minimal vibrations at only certain speeds can be caused mostly by drive shaft, harmonic balancer, wheel balance. There could be more, but these are the most common. Here's a good place to start researching:
most common vehicle causes of vibration at certain speeds

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So a few things the Expedition front end is built like a giant sedan shared with the F150. The F250’s have a totally different front end design and totally different steering design (death wobbles) in the F250 worn out suspension and steering happens.

The rack / pinion steering on the Expedition doesn’t suffer the same F250 issues.

However!! The bigger wheels are definitely more prone to junk tire issues!! A bad tire will definitely cause issues and be noticeable. If your a second owner? These wide full sized suvs get the front passenger side wrecked all the time by people driving them like a Camry. Add a shop that swaps in cheap after market junk parts and its not a surprise if you come across a vibrating Expedition, F150 Tahoe etc.

I swapped out the OEM low rolling resistance passenger tires for BFG Trail Terrains all new design in 2021. Specifically designed for SUVs running bigger wheels that needed 3peak rated tires that still have good highway manners and don’t ruin mileage. They have been awesome tires with near zero negative changes and massively improved wet and snow traction over the junk stock tires.

I would be cautious putting lower quality heavy A/T tires on the Expedition 20/22 wheels given you will likely see vibrations and balance issues at higher speeds with tires that aren’t built to sedan standards regarding speed and balance quality.

If I were to move to 19 inch wheels then the cheaper truck a/t tires would make more sense. But these 22’s with BFG Trail Terrains have been excellent. Not the right combo for airing down for sand work but definitely excellent so far for firm surfaces and snow. Smooth zero vibration issues at high speeds

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just read about this issue on another thread.
It appears that Certain newer years of Ford Expeditions had PermaSel Tire Puncture Sealant installed in their tires. This addon can cause the tire to get out of balance. I'm not sure if this is the issue with those who posted about high-speed vibration, but it very well could be the issue.
Read here: PermaSeal Tire Puncture Sealant

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just read about this issue on another thread.
It appears that Certain newer years of Ford Expeditions had PermaSel Tire Puncture Sealant installed in their tires. This addon can cause the tire to get out of balance. I'm not sure if this is the issue with those who posted about high-speed vibration, but it very well could be the issue.
Read here: PermaSeal Tire Puncture Sealant

My issue when this happened was due to crappy tire manufacturing from general. 2 new sets plus a lot of road force balancing didn’t fix it. Swapped tire brands and it helped dramatically.
Still has an issue with flat spots but two mechanics I know said that is probably made worse by the 22” wheels without much sidewall. They said the truck has a lot of weight sitting on Crossover/SUV tires.
Axle balance and other rotating parts they tested by having the vehicle supported and Spun up to speed. Those components would still vibrate at speed without road force.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue when this happened was due to crappy tire manufacturing from general. 2 new sets plus a lot of road force balancing didn’t fix it. Swapped tire brands and it helped dramatically.
Still has an issue with flat spots but two mechanics I know said that is probably made worse by the 22” wheels without much sidewall. They said the truck has a lot of weight sitting on Crossover/SUV tires.
Axle balance and other rotating parts they tested by having the vehicle supported and Spun up to speed. Those components would still vibrate at speed without road force.
What vehicle do you have?
My Expedition Platinum has 22s with Michelin Defenders. It is a very smooth ride with good traction and handling.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely a must to go with quality tires due to weight, the big wheels and people seem to drive these big vehicles fast. Michelin tires and BFG SUV tires definitely work on these. The lower end truck tires have always been very spotty on balance quality given the target user’s generally aren’t running high speeds and just want value and durability. The Michelin highway tires are designed to carry large heavy vehicles at highway speeds without balancing issues. New SUV hybrid a/t tires are also targeting this type of use like the BFG Trail Terrain model all new in 2021 specifically for sporty SUVs needing a tire thats more than a basic highway tread ie 3peak rated etc.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What vehicle do you have?
My Expedition Platinum has 22s with Michelin Defenders. It is a very smooth ride with good traction and handling.
2022 SPP 304a, i now have Michelin Defenders and it’s much improved. I’ve had these tires before on other vehicles, they are fantastic.