Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a vibration at 85mph. Dealer did nothing because they are not allowed to go more then 70mph. I had a service tech tell me these cars are not meant to drive that fast. haha. I told him to Efff off. Never went back. Bell Ford in Phoenix AZ. Just saying… I’ve learned to live with it till I lift the truck and put new wheels on it.

Avee8tor

Reaction score
This is quite disturbing as I have a 23 with CCD SPP on order. I had a 2018 that was smooth all the way to the speed limiter on the original tires. The interstate near me if you're not doing 80 your in the way!

Has anyone had the rims checked for being true as this appears to be a 22" wheel issue??

Skud

Reaction score
Has anyone had the rims checked for being true as this appears to be a 22" wheel issue??
Mine shakes badly over 80 with my 20” winter tires as well as the stock 22”.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
leading theory is the tires are crap.
I’ve been following this issue for months.
Most, not all, the vibration issues people experience are fixed with road force balance or new tires.
The other thing to remember is these are not new components, very high overlap with previous 18-21 models. Nothing “special” about suspension or driveline for 22.
When diagnosing your issue detail the type of vibration. Is the car smooth up to x speed? Do you notice any subtle vibration that increases as speed changes? If you shift into or out of 4x4 does anything improve or get worse? Is the vibration consistent through turns and various road types? Where do you feel it first, hands or back/butt? If you apply slight brake pressure does it persist? Does it feel like a phone vibrating (i.e. high frequency) or more like tight rumble strips (low frequency) Etc. All these are common diagnostic questions, one persons tire issue won’t solve someone else’s CV joint problem.

markw1855

Reaction score
Hello All,

BLUF
Expedition
Limited Max
Stealth Performance
Max Trailer Tow

Issue
Heavy Front Right Vibration felt throughout the entire cabin.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Ford or the Expedition (1999,2006,2016,2022) nor other Ford vehicles to include owning 4 F Series trucks, 5 Explorers, and 3 Mustangs. However, I'm a little perplexed with this one. Zero-70 mph we're all good. Once I creep past 70 mph the right front starts to vibrate and gets increasingly worse as speeds approach 80 mph and can be felt in the steering wheel, floorboards, and other locations throughout the cabin. I first took the Expedition back the next evening after I purchased it and I got "We can't duplicate the issue" from the Service Manager. A week later I took the vehicle back and the Service Manager said the front right tire and wheel were out of balance. I drove it home and noticed a minor change (I could now go 73 mph before a noticeable vibration). I notified them of the issue and they said, "Let us research it".

I had already scheduled a vacation with the family and purchased the Expo for such occasions. I set off on 3300 mile roundtrip vacation and felt the vibration every mile over 73 mph down and back on Interstate 95 and every other road throughout FL with 70 mph speed limits.

When I returned home I took the Expedition into the shop on a Friday. On Saturday the Service Manager says, "Our Service Techs don't drive over the speed limit, so we can't duplicate the event/issue. I don't know what to tell you. No other 2022 owners are having the same issue".

Is anyone else having these issues? Can someone point me in the right direction? I though it could be a loose lug nuts, bad sensor for the CCD Suspension System, a bad shock, a bad barring, a rim out of true...

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

No issue with my SPP 22” stock Gaber. Went 80+ without vibration.

kpwhalen830

Reaction score
My dealer has put 2 different sets of 22" tires and wheels on mine with no changes. The vehicles that the tires and wheels came off of both drove fine at 70+MPH. Dealer has "beat the tires and wheels to death". Now looking into driveline issues.

kpwhalen830

Reaction score
Ford's field engineer came out on Monday to drive my expedition. He acknowledged the vibration and said that he wants to drive a new expedition with the same wheels and tires and consult with some other engineers. So I guess I wait longer now.

Tyra

Reaction score
Ford's field engineer came out on Monday to drive my expedition. He acknowledged the vibration and said that he wants to drive a new expedition with the same wheels and tires and consult with some other engineers. So I guess I wait longer now.
Did you get any answers??

kpwhalen830

Reaction score
Did you get any answers??
Ford basically told me to pound salt. After multiple attempts to fix the problem they decided that the problem is now acceptable. Here is what the Ford Feild Service Engineer said:
During my visit today we test drove a 2022 Navigator vehicle along the same route we took the clients vehicle on my last visit. During said drive, we were able to duplicate a vibration at 72MPH. I took readings of the vibration on my Electronic Vibration Analyzer, and then hooked up the same analyzer to the clients vehicle, and we took the clients vehicle long the same route. At the same speed along the same route we were able to duplicate a vibration on both vehicles which had an amplitude of 0.020 and a frequency of 12.5- 12.75 Hz. These readings matched the readings we obtained on a different 2022 Navigator vehicle on my last visit.

In the Ford Workshop manual for the 2022 Expedition, under Vibration and Harshness Diagnosis and Testing, indicates that a vibration with an amplitude under 0.06Gs is acceptable, and no corrective action is necessary. Given this, and the fact that we found 2 different like units equipped with the same size wheels/tires which exhibited this vibration, this would indicate that the vibration noticed by the client would be considered an undesirable characteristic of the Expedition/Navigator model line when equipped with 22’ wheels. At this time, no further diagnostic steps or repairs are recommended.

I am now in the process of requesting a buy back from Ford. If they do not buy it back I will get it bought back with New York State Lemon Law.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford basically told me to pound salt. After multiple attempts to fix the problem they decided that the problem is now acceptable. Here is what the Ford Feild Service Engineer said:

I am now in the process of requesting a buy back from Ford. If they do not buy it back I will get it bought back with New York State Lemon Law.

Did you drive the navigator with them along the same route? Was the vibration the same as your vehicle?
You might have a hard road ahead on the buyback and lemon law, especially if it's documented there isn't a measurable (out of spec) or repeatable issue.