Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyra

Reaction score
Ford basically told me to pound salt. After multiple attempts to fix the problem they decided that the problem is now acceptable. Here is what the Ford Feild Service Engineer said:
During my visit today we test drove a 2022 Navigator vehicle along the same route we took the clients vehicle on my last visit. During said drive, we were able to duplicate a vibration at 72MPH. I took readings of the vibration on my Electronic Vibration Analyzer, and then hooked up the same analyzer to the clients vehicle, and we took the clients vehicle long the same route. At the same speed along the same route we were able to duplicate a vibration on both vehicles which had an amplitude of 0.020 and a frequency of 12.5- 12.75 Hz. These readings matched the readings we obtained on a different 2022 Navigator vehicle on my last visit.

In the Ford Workshop manual for the 2022 Expedition, under Vibration and Harshness Diagnosis and Testing, indicates that a vibration with an amplitude under 0.06Gs is acceptable, and no corrective action is necessary. Given this, and the fact that we found 2 different like units equipped with the same size wheels/tires which exhibited this vibration, this would indicate that the vibration noticed by the client would be considered an undesirable characteristic of the Expedition/Navigator model line when equipped with 22’ wheels. At this time, no further diagnostic steps or repairs are recommended.

I am now in the process of requesting a buy back from Ford. If they do not buy it back I will get it bought back with New York State Lemon Law.
That is really too bad. So they say it would be considered an undesirable characteristic but they won’t do anything about it?? What do they say about all the other ones that do not have this? I am feeling really lucky mine does not do this. Iv’e driven up to the mid 80’s with no vibration.

Skud

Reaction score
Even after swapping to brand new wheels and tires from TireRack mine still shook over 75. As a last ditch effort I went to Discount Tire and had them road force balanced and it seems to have solved it.

Kudie

Reaction score
My 21 stealth with 22’s always had a slight vibration above 70.
never had them rebalance because wasn’t bad enough to piss me off. 7,300 miles and wife drove over something and cut and ruined both passenger tires. Dealer was cheapest to replace 2 hankooks
and now as smooth as could be.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford basically told me to pound salt. After multiple attempts to fix the problem they decided that the problem is now acceptable. Here is what the Ford Feild Service Engineer said:
During my visit today we test drove a 2022 Navigator vehicle along the same route we took the clients vehicle on my last visit. During said drive, we were able to duplicate a vibration at 72MPH. I took readings of the vibration on my Electronic Vibration Analyzer, and then hooked up the same analyzer to the clients vehicle, and we took the clients vehicle long the same route. At the same speed along the same route we were able to duplicate a vibration on both vehicles which had an amplitude of 0.020 and a frequency of 12.5- 12.75 Hz. These readings matched the readings we obtained on a different 2022 Navigator vehicle on my last visit.

In the Ford Workshop manual for the 2022 Expedition, under Vibration and Harshness Diagnosis and Testing, indicates that a vibration with an amplitude under 0.06Gs is acceptable, and no corrective action is necessary. Given this, and the fact that we found 2 different like units equipped with the same size wheels/tires which exhibited this vibration, this would indicate that the vibration noticed by the client would be considered an undesirable characteristic of the Expedition/Navigator model line when equipped with 22’ wheels. At this time, no further diagnostic steps or repairs are recommended.

I am now in the process of requesting a buy back from Ford. If they do not buy it back I will get it bought back with New York State Lemon Law.

Does it really take a Field Service Engineer to road force balance the tires and find out that they are flat spotted?

dhenderz

Reaction score
Update on my SPP vibration. I posted earlier that after 3 tries at road force balancing at the dealer mine got marginally better. Still very noticeable over 80mph. Yesterday I installed my winter wheel/tire package. Huge improvement. Still a very subtle vibration starting in the upper-80's, but very tolerable. Proves to me two things. First, the factory tires are clearly the majority of the issue. Second, there is still something inherently wrong with the driveline of SPP that exacerbates the issue. I would be curious to find out if CCD is part of the issue, or at least with the 22's or possibly the CCD with the SPP tuning.

markw1855

Reaction score
Update on my SPP vibration. I posted earlier that after 3 tries at road force balancing at the dealer mine got marginally better. Still very noticeable over 80mph. Yesterday I installed my winter wheel/tire package. Huge improvement. Still a very subtle vibration starting in the upper-80's, but very tolerable. Proves to me two things. First, the factory tires are clearly the majority of the issue. Second, there is still something inherently wrong with the driveline of SPP that exacerbates the issue. I would be curious to find out if CCD is part of the issue, or at least with the 22's or possibly the CCD with the SPP tuning.
Got stock 22 SPP, just did a trip from AZ to CO, at few times passing I punch it to 100+, no issue with vibration. So far only 2000 miles on our first trip. Sorry to hear about your vibration.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The stock general tires are complete crap. I went through 3 sets and then swapped for Defender LTX MS and it rides as it should now. It’s not a crossover so I do expect slightly more reverberation, but should ride smooth. (Physics and all with body on frame design)
I had 2 techs look at it and once the regional tech heard the issue they just approved going with different brand of tires.
As for the CCD or driveline, both are not unique to the SPP or ‘22 year or 22” wheels. They have been around a while with 18+ and are not different. Components (at least from what the parts.ford.com says). There are some marketing materials that suggest “sport tuning” but that is yet to be confirmed.